Kauai Bass fishing club

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Crux52
minnow level

Kauai Bass fishing club

Postby Crux52 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi,

Is there a kauai bass fishing club? Are there any tournaments held on Waita? I tried to search, but I couldn't find any solid information. I will be moving to Kauai in about a month. I'm really into bass fishing here in AZ and I'm considering selling off my freshwater gear before I move.

Thanks for your time,

Chris
Arizona Kid

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Don't sell your fishing gear. There is lots of freshwater fishing on Kauai (compared to Oahu). I believe they hold tournements as well. Check with Basstracker on here. He has a friend that fishes Kauai.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Crux52 don't get rid of you gear like Roadwarrior said! You ever fish Lake alamo? Man I love that lake, probably my favorite lake I've ever fished, never once had a bad day fishing on lake alamo.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:30 pm

yes many lakes and streams full of tuck,largemouth, and smallies.there are 2 clubs on kaui i know of offhand. the one my friend is in is the bigger one and i believe they recently became affiliated with the federation nation.they fish waita, ipo, and several other reservoirs on a rotating basis. i think on a monthly schedule similar to ours here.will have to get some contact numbers for you when i can.

Crux52
minnow level

Postby Crux52 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Ca_Bass wrote:Crux52 don't get rid of you gear like Roadwarrior said! You ever fish Lake alamo? Man I love that lake, probably my favorite lake I've ever fished, never once had a bad day fishing on lake alamo.

You've had better luck than I ever have, lol. Every time I fish that lake, I'm fishing it as a tournament competitor. I mostly fish the lakes East of Phoenix: Saguaro, Canyon, Apache, Roosevelt and Bartlett. I've been bass fishing ever since I was a kid. I'm no KVD, but I am a well rounded bass fisherman.

Great to hear that there is a bass club. Maybe I'll sell off half of my rigs, I got about 10 setups. From what I seen on you tube, the lakes are not cover infested. I'm guessing the heaviest rod I would need is a MH. Also, I've been watching Mark White you tube channel and he uses Ultra light tackle, Is that the norm?
Arizona Kid

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:44 pm

I fished a few American Bass tournaments at Alamo as well at Havasu. I lived in phoenix for awhile but did most of tournament fishing in california while in high school visiting my pops. Havasu was always hit and miss for us we were either on them really good or struggling to get bit, alamo on the other hand was amazing everytime I went only time we didn't place well at alamo was because my partned and I kept breaking 4 and 5 pounders off in the cotton wood trees. Fished pleasant, bartlett and rooselvelt but no tournaments though, as I was in high school and didn't have a bass boat back then.

On oahu's lake wilson there was heavy enough cover to use my flipping stick and 30lb braid on occasions, I would advise keeping all your gear. I used everything from light spinning rods to my heavy flipping and jig rods, you probably don't need 50lb braid or anything but your heavier rods will still have a purpose. I would also advise on stocking up on some lures because there isn't much freshwater selection in hawaii...maybe it is better on kauai but I doubt it. A lot of people do use ultra light gear and when I first started fishing wilson I followed suit as well but after breaking off 4lb tucs in the laydowns I started bumping my line back up and was able to land the better quality fish. I remember a certain guy who's name rhymed with eel telling me I wouln't catch fish using a spinnerbait and all my "bassmaster" tricks don't work in hawaii all you guys come over from the mainland and can't catch any fish...(don't know what ever happend to "that guy" but he was wrong.)

All the same stuff you used to catch bass on the mainland works just as well on hawaiian bass minus the peacocks won't bite plastic worms unless you are burning it back to the boat and luck into a reaction bite. Granted, instead of using 1/2 spinnerbaits and jigs I would use 1/4 and 3/16ozes but you don't have to used ultralight gear.

Crux52
minnow level

Postby Crux52 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:15 pm

What is the avg size of fish out there in kauai? and what is considered big?

Bass? Small mouth? Peacock? devil?
Arizona Kid

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Seems like the largemouth that Jeff has been catching average about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds. There are 2 to 4 punders around. I've seen some 5 and 6 pounders.

Small mouth are 1/2 to a pound??? The ones I've seen anyway.

Peacocks average just a little over 2 pounds with a 3 to 5 pounder not that uncommon. Some of the live bait guys regularly get 3 to 5 pounders...
Largest I've caught was 8.

Red devils run from 1/2 to a little over a pound. Average is probably 3/4 pound.

Here are the State Records from Hawaii Fishing News...
http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records.cfm

:D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”