Pacu

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Pacu

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:41 pm

Is there an established reproducing population of Pacu in Lake Wilson? I know they are caught but curious to know if established, and not just individual release fish that have grown. I'd love to target them.

ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 am

I "think" Chris Wright may have caught one years ago. I doubt there are very many in the lake if any at all now.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 am

Chris and I were fishing on the north side of Kemoo Island. He saw a good size peacock bass and cast a small live tilapia to it. There was a flash and the line started melting from the reel as the fish made a long strong run... this is not a peacock. He landed the fish a few minutes later. The paku weighted 2 1/4 pounds as I remember.

Chris filled in all the paper work for a new state record... but never turned it in. Someone caught an 8 pound paku a month or so later.

Chris kept the Paku in in his 50 gallon fish tank for a long time. It would eat anything they tossed into the tank. Dog food, vegetables, fruit, nuts, cockroaches, lizards... anything.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

shanai
King Sushi level

Pacu

Postby shanai » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:06 pm

The State record for Pacu was supposedly caught in Manoa Pond (?) If this is the pond that I'm thinking off, it's not very big but it does hold some nice sized koi. It's possible that Pacu released into Lake Wilson could flourish and breed and I wouldn't be surprised what one could catch in the lake.

http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=522

Return to “General Discussion”