Surprise Spawn

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Surprise Spawn

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:21 pm

As some of you may recall, I was given two cichlid temensis peacock bass by a friend about 8 months ago. I posted it here: http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1690 They are difficult to sex and the prior owner didn't even know what sex each was. They had never spawned to his knowledge. Well, today the wife was feeding the peacocks and thought she saw a tadpole. A closer look revealed a dozen or so of TINY little fish! I never saw any signs of a spawn from these guys, not that I know what to look for, but never saw a nest either, but apparently it happened. We were able to net about 25 of these little guys. I know the pic is junk, just looking at some dots. Thats how tiny these guys are. I'll keep you posted on their progress. And no, they won't find their way into our lake, maybe onto Craigslist, but not our lake.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:20 pm

looks like you have you're own hatchery going for wilson :)

WET
bass level

Postby WET » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:03 am

That pond is awesome.... Could i purchase a couple after they get a little bigger? if they are not all gone already... I've got a perfect aquarium for them to grow till they are a few inches... then maybe i can convince my dad into letting me build a small pond for um

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:24 am

Yea, after they get larger I'll try selling them on Craigslist. I'll probably donate the money back to the Wahiawa Middle School Hatchery since they have provided me with much guidance and help in raising these fish. I transfered them to an aquarium and counted 34 of these guys.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

WET
bass level

Postby WET » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:10 am

thats cool, i wanna come help out on the next cleanup and check that place out... i grad leilehua but i went mililani for middle school.... can you let me know on here? im not always checking craiglist dats why haha

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:42 am

Eventually...are you going to...say...oops...a few got into the lake :wink: :lol:
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Not a chance. Two top-end predators is one too many already. They would serve the fishery better by bringing in income thru Craigslist.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Well, I've got disappointing news. :cry: I've been raising up these fry since August. Lately I've been getting suspicious of them. They have been looking like mendonka's. Today when I was cleaning their tank, I discovered MORE new fry! :roll: By some long shot, I guess I fed some mendonkas to the big peacocks. Some must have found refuge in the water lilly plant and must have spawned. So much for more peacock bass dangit!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 pm

:twisted:
They look like "Sea Monkey" to me.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”