Ken
King Sushi level

Fly Rod

Postby Ken » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:11 pm

nm Stan...I have a short memory :lol:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:34 pm

I like fly fishing..... to me it's relaxing. The peacock bass feed mostly on smaller fish so streamer flys work great. You also don't have to carry so much tackle with you all the time. There is nothing like catching a fish with a fly you tied yourself.

One thing, although you can get into fly fishing for under $100 with one of those starter kits. There is a big difference in a $59 rod and a $300 rod. Same with the reels. Most people start out with a low cost rod and reel, and end up buying a more expensive outfit later. That's what I did.
After "trying out" some quality gear of my friends, I was lucky to buy a used rod from one of the guys. I love it. I guess I should have spent the money on some good used gear up front and saved money in the long run.

Now I have a bunch of Sage fly rods that I supply for people fishing with us. After fishing with one of our rods all day , I've had several people tell me they replaced their rod with a "more expensive" rod. There is a big difference.

With fishing tackle, you get what you pay for. Buy the best you can afford.

Aloha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Stan, that is the nicest looking red devil I have ever seen. I would kill to be able to get my hands on a couple like that to keep in an aquarium.

Do you catch many with the mixed colors?

*Drools*

Man, I need to go fishing. :twisted:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:54 pm

Don't catch many of the "koi colored ones" or the white ones. Mostly the orangr or red ones. Going tomorrow..... They are fun to catch.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi Stan, I was thinking along the line of these rod and reel combo. Let me know if they sounds good to you.

Temple Fork Outfitters™ NXT Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Outfits

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=88940&hvarDept=175&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse

White River Fly Shop™ Classic Travel Rod and Reel Outfit

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=73947&hvarDept=175&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse

Also...have you tried out a Fenwick HMX fly rod? If so, what's your thought on it? Here's a look at the product description...it opens as a PDF file.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp07/fishing/fenwick_fly_rods.pdf

I wish I could put more money into it...but $200 is all the money I have to work with. :?

Return to “General Discussion”