seeking fishing tips

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

jake4211
bait level

seeking fishing tips

Postby jake4211 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Gentleman, I'll be returning home next week and have vowed to catch a Tuc at Wilson. Any suggestions? I don't have access to a boat, so any tips for shore fishing (location, types of lures) would be much appreciated. Much mahalos :)

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Tue May 17, 2011 11:21 pm

If I was fishing from shore (and desperately want to catch a Tuc), I'd use 2-3" Tilaps or store bought minnows free-lined or under a very light bobber. If the water is stained still, try a point with a small split shot.

If you're a lure thrower, anything chartreuse (white even) that creates commotion or makes noise might be a good bet.

You might actually time your arrival perfectly since it looks like the water clarity might actually settle down in the coming days.

Best of luck...and let us know how you do.
Crash

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed May 18, 2011 11:05 am

When I first got to hawaii and found out that the lake had peacock bass that immediately became #1 on my to do list. What I did was go down to the boat ramp area and there happend to be a good size school of tucs chasing bait right there. I got a couple on a sammy right off the bat. Tried a couple more times from that area without much luck...so I started exploring the banks a bit. The water then was high like it is now which made shore fishing very difficult. The banks are very steep and loaded with vegitation, casting can be a challenge from shore. I imediately realized that if I really wanted to do some serious serious fishing I needed a boat of some sort because it is very difficult to cover a decent amount of area walking the banks, and I orefer to not use live bait to covering water is a must. So I got a little 12ft jon boat which was great (had a trolling motor and a 3.3hp merc). If you'ree fishing on a budget a kayak is good way to go. (Not for me though...I'm the guy who "needs" 15 rods and 50lbs of tackle when I fish). I quickly out grew the jon boat and jumped on my first chance to buy a bass tracker. Really the jon boat was plenty sufficient for the lake, but I had been fishing from a champion bass boat since I was 14 and I knew how much better that
would be. Since you don't have access to a boat the area by kunia road is probably your best bet, there is an area you can park and there is also a point and cove that you should be able to fish with the water high. If you are military you may want to look into renting a kayak from the MWR.

Lures wise smaller profile minow type baits (small jerkbaits, kastmasters, fin s' shad, small 1.5" swimbaits, curlytail grubs, rattletraps, crankbaits) in white, orange, chartruse and shad colors work well (don't be afraid to experiment). Work them fast and erratic over laydowns and try to focus on getting your bait almost behind the logs. If you see a tucs come at your lure don't stop it! Keep working it and working it faster will even trigger them to hit. If they were chasing a real fish it wouldn't stop and say hey come eat me...it will try to swim even faster. If you can get your bait to run right along the log and bump into it absolutely drives tucs crazy! Try to make your casts over the sticks come back at angles or parralel to them, the longer it is bumping the stick the better. Probably 85% of the tucs I've caught at wilson have been triggered from my bait hitting a log (minus the schooling tucs) The bigger tucs usually stay close to cover and get themselves way back in the deeps stuff. Light line will difinitely help casting and will get more action on the smaller profiles baits that work well, but is suspect to break off if you hook a fish in the "sticks". Even the small guys can break you off pretty easily if they get you around a log with light line. With that being said about small profile baits, larger baits work well too, most of my big tucs came on a spinnerbait, crankbait or topwater. You won't catch as many but you will increase the size of your fish. They are also easier to cast and you can use heavier line without losing action. Hope this can help get you started, my box of "wilson secrets" is open so ask away!

( 808) bass hunter
angler level

Postby ( 808) bass hunter » Wed May 18, 2011 10:38 pm

the bubble w/da fly rig should work too (boat ramp) on lite line 4# test should do the trick. when they' re around you ll catch 1 after the other!!! Note: the smaller tucs put up a good fight so hold on coz it will make your reel scream!!! (lots of fun) you ll be hooked!!! if that does nt work then use live bait(da dark side) :) :D

Return to “General Discussion”