Bass Boat Conversion

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

KIA68
master baiter level

Bass Boat Conversion

Postby KIA68 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:57 am

Here are some pictures of a fiberglass boat i picked up and tried to convert into a decent bass boat.

Day 1- The boat

Time to build the frame for the deck

Now time to put the deck on

Carpeting the deck and compartments

Add some paint, chairs, depth finder, trolling motor and were done

Total project took about a week. Boat/trailer and motor cost about $1500, deck and carpet about $200, chairs $150, and paint & other misc $50...total cost was about $1900.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue May 03, 2011 8:50 am

:D
WOW
:D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 pm

That does look professional no doubt. Let us know how building the deck works out for you. I suspect that it will raise the center of gravity and make it less stable than standing on the very bottom. Hopefully the impact won't be too great.

fishunter
minnow level

Postby fishunter » Tue May 03, 2011 2:37 pm

Nice work. Looks good.

Bozu
bass level

Postby Bozu » Tue May 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Nice Job ! Don't forget to install a bilge pump in case you don't have quick access to your boat's bottom. Some of those downpours can be wicked
and you'll fill up fast.
Bozu

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks for all the compliments. I built a deck on my previous boat too, and both boats seem very stable. Standing on this boat is very easy. I think it might be more stable with the deck on it. It did put on some weight, so my 15hp motor might need an upgrade soon.

Got the bilge pump hooked up. I got hit by a hard rain storm a few months ago. It wasnt fun :cry: . I need sometype of switch box to turn these items on. Right now I just have everything hooked up straight to the battery.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue May 03, 2011 4:11 pm

KIA68 wrote:. so my 15hp motor might need an upgrade soon.

Let me know if you go to sell. I know someone searching Craigslist weekly looking for a small outboard. :wink:

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Wed May 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Great job...looks phenomenal.
Crash

Jesse
bass level

Postby Jesse » Sun May 08, 2011 5:33 pm

You painted the hull, looks good! you gotta put on a steering system now.

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Yup! steering is next. Steering from the back sucks.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon May 09, 2011 8:44 pm

That thing is slick! I have a bunch of questions. How long is it and does it have a livewell? Steering, key ignition and a foot control trolling motor would make it complete :) probably would fish as well or close to as well as a tracker. It looks like your deck would be fairly easy to remove so if you decided to get some fish finders or something it should be easy to hide the wiring. Have you thought about installing a plug for your trolling motor either mount it to the boat or the deck? I remember how much I hated having my trolling motor wiring out when I had my jon boat. I can't imagine those mutli switch boxes things at westmarine or POP would be all that had to install, especially since you have done all the wiring yourself you will know what is what. Have to say it again it has turned out nice, make sure you post if you do any more mods!

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:52 pm

The boat is a 14ft fiberglass Game Fisher. The boat has a built in livewell, but i dont think it would be big enough to hold a few big bass for tournaments. I currently use it as a cooler. I just recently added a fish/depth finder and have tucked all the wires nicely. I need to get the switch box and put in a new motor and steering system. The trolling motor i use is a decent one, but not anywhere near as cool as the foot steering ones.

GaBoy
angler level

Postby GaBoy » Tue May 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Very Nice! I have a 14' GameFisher also and want to put in a front deck but from what I see a back one may not be a bad choice either. I'd like to get the details on the front deck if you don't mind sharing. I fish with HFFA and Paul was going to help me put a deck on my boat. Now that you have a nice rig come join us and compete in our monthly tournaments. We are looking for new members with boats. :)

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:42 pm

I would love to help you build a deck. The deck from start to finish only took 2 day, total of about 12 hours. I was thinking of joining the HFFA. I usually work on weekends, but im sure I can get one saturday off a month. Hopefully soon I can join in on the fun. :D

GaBoy
angler level

Postby GaBoy » Wed May 11, 2011 9:06 am

That would be great. my email is dennjimm@yahoo.com. Send me a note on how we could meet and discuss. Mahalo! Mike

Return to “General Discussion”