finesse type retreive?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

finesse type retreive?

Postby marcusn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:28 pm

i tried a zoom finesse worm in purple a couple times and havent had any luck. i am texas rigging it with a 1/8th ounce bullet weight. im not really sure how to retrieve the worm. i tried twitching my rod 2 times, then letting it drop. any suggestions?

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:45 pm

so many ways to fish it really, a short hop hop hop, dragging, shaking. any any combination of them, you really cant go wrong with the retrieve if the spot your in has fish and you just need to keep at it to find a retrieve that works. once you get a fish or two on it you will get some confidence in the lure and retrieve and you can experiment with what works for you best,.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Yep, a purple worm is a classic. Bass will hit it no doubt, that is, if they are present.

blast from the past
bass level

Marcus, try this

Postby blast from the past » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:24 am

The bass that bit the purple worms i used (as you can see i write in the past tense as i'm not home in the islands to fish Wahiawa with you all), gobbled the worm only when i did one thing: slowly just dragged it on the bottom by little bits at a time. i didn't hop or twitch it - just very, VERY slowly (like an eighth of an inch at a time, with a split second between the bits). Do it very steady and very slow. i never pulled the worm off the bottom - just dragged it in constant contact with the bottom. Maybe it looked like a real worm fallen into the water, or maybe it looked like a dojo twiddling along....i don't know. But those bass really bit that purple six inch worm (the old Mann's jellyworm, with the small paddle tail). i used a small bronze hook - #2. Solid purple color worked (the "clear" ones that you could see through didn't work for beans!). It seems like a small spinning reel on a long, thin rod (like, seven feet) with 15lb. mono may really work good in Wahiawa water. Every time i was lucky enough for the worm to run across some bass, the worm worked. It seemed i had to do a lot of "probing" with the worm. Cast here, cast there, cast everywhere. Got a lot of bites on steep sloping dirt cliffs - where the cliff disappears into the water and the drop-off is deep and steep under water (like, 45-degree drop-off).

Return to “General Discussion”