Swivel Afffects Action?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Swivel Afffects Action?

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Sat. morning a friend and I hit the lake for the morning bust. I was using the good old bubble rig and he was using a silver Kastmaster. I prefer gold but was out so silver had to do. He started slaying the bass with the silver Kastmaster so I switched over as well, using a swivel. He had his tied directly on his line. He continued pulling them in while I struggled. Wondering what the difference was, I saw I was using a swivel and he was not. After removing the swivel, I started hammering them as well. Does a swivel negatively affect the action of a Kastmaster? I can't say for sure, but the numbers don't lie. Next time I'll leave the swivel at home. I know many who don't use swivels. I'm just a lazy b@$t@rd who likes changing lures easier. :lol:

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm

dont even get us started on which knots perform better for what rigs!! hahahah, wont be long before stan gives you the "i told you so"

LCPointer
master baiter level

Postby LCPointer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:25 pm

I have to deal with poor vision and shaky hands so I use a snap to reduce tying different lures. I prefer using a plain duolock snap without the swivel and also remove the split ring from the Kastmaster. I think the swivel kills some of the action with the additional drag through the water.

00BLACKSS
minnow level

Postby 00BLACKSS » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:19 pm

I think it may be more likely that your friend is just a better fisherman!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:35 pm

00BLACKSS wrote:I think it may be more likely that your friend is just a better fisherman!

I had to show some pity to let him feel good about himself. Real delicate igo. I'm sure you know the type! :lol:

LC, that looks like a good compromise! 8)

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:51 am

LCPointer wrote:I have to deal with poor vision and shaky hands so I use a snap to reduce tying different lures. I prefer using a plain duolock snap without the swivel and also remove the split ring from the Kastmaster. I think the swivel kills some of the action with the additional drag through the water.

I bet LCP gets his online, but I usually get the smallest ones I can find at Sports Authority or Charley's Fishing Supply and then cut off the swivel and just use the snap. I prefer no snap at all, but sometimes I get lazy too. I also use the Norman Speed Clips, but they are expensive and offer no advantage. I won't reorder when I run out.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you can't say sumthin nice,
Don't say nuttin'.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

grl0218
angler level

Postby grl0218 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 am

yea i agree, we get lazy and don't liek retieing lure on the line when a quick snap or swivel is faster, but why cant lure makers just make the lure to work with a quick disconnect that still has all the same action.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

swivels on kastmasters

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed May 04, 2011 3:43 pm

roaddwarriorsvt, have you tried those kastmasters without the swivel since then or was that a one time thing. Does your line get twisted? I use kastmasters in both saltwater and freshwater. I have always used snap swivels and have caught fish but I didn't know the kastmaster works better without the swivels.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed May 04, 2011 5:39 pm

Yep, last Sun. I went out and caught 14 w/o using a swivel.

Return to “General Discussion”