Lake Wilson water level returns to normal

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Lake Wilson water level returns to normal

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:49 am

This is the story from the Sunday paper.
LAKE WILSON WATER LEVEL RETURNS TO NORMAL
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... 95944.html
Dole Foods has completed repairs on a valve at Lake Wilson, allowing water levels to return to normal.

On Thursday, the water level at Lake Wilson, the largest freshwater reservoir in the state with a capacity of 3 billion gallons, was at more than 73 feet. The state Department of Land and Natural Resources said the normal operating level is 65 feet.

At the beginning of this month, water levels dropped to 40 feet after the outlet valve became stuck, allowing water to drain from the reservoir. That raised concerns that the low water levels could endanger fish, including bass popular with anglers.

Tree roots and dumped shopping carts were visible along some areas of the exposed bank.

On April 8, Dole, operator of the reservoir, told the state that the butterfly valve was repaired.

The lake, also known as Wahiawa Reservoir, was replenished by the watershed in the west Koolau Mountains via the north and south forks of Kaukonahua Stream.

This is the letter to the editor I sent to the paper.
Aloha,
We are all happy to see the valve at Lake Wilson repaired.

But the water level has not returned to normal. The normal lake level is 80 feet. The DLNRs new normal level is 65 feet. If the water level drops another 5 feet to the 60 foot mark, we will be right back where we were the last week of Feb. Unable to use the boat ramp and concerned with a possable fish kill.

I can appreciate having the water level down a little in case of a huge flood... a water level of 70 feet seems more realistic. Enough leeway to allow for flood control, and also enough to weather periods of no rain.

Even at the 65 foot level... your can see lots of tree roots, tons of garbage, abandon cars, and shopping carts all along the shore line.
Stan Wright
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:54 am

What I didn't put in my letter to the editor.....

"Probably, the amount of water being dumped into the lake every day from the Wahiawa Sewage Plant will keep the level consistent even during a long periods of no rainfall."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Well we're experiencing flash flooding as I type. Out backyard and street is submerged under water! Good thing I watered the plants this morning! :roll:

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:55 pm

i dedicated an hour or so to re exploring south forks potential fish holding on saturday. if the water maintained at this level i think the fishing would vastly improve up in south and north forks like it was in years past if they just let it stand at 72 ft. caught 2 nice largemouth running a spinnerbait down the grassline. one of the best summer patterns was to work the grass edges with baits, and get tucs and bass hiding in the grass. when the water is at 65ft at the damn it will be at6-8ft in the middle of the forks and muddy and no cover left in water only a muddy bottom, not ideal for fishing.....................

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:53 pm

I agree with the majority of the regulars here. Keeping the lake steady at the 72-73 foot level would be ideal. Boaters can utilize all of the boat ramp, and the grass line will be in the water. A "normal level' of 65 feet is definitely too low - the banks of the mid and upper reaches of both forks will be high and dry and the water will be muddy. How about it Stan - start a petition to have the DLNR consider raising the "normal level" just six more feet to the 72-foot level? I'd sign it in a flash!

Tucmaster out!

LCPointer
master baiter level

Postby LCPointer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:45 pm

DLNR/Dole have kept the water level at 71.8 feet for two days now. Anyone think this may be the new level instead of the 65 feet? It sure was nice to fish the grass lines and use the dock portion of the ramp today. I sure hope they try to keep it at least this high.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:30 pm

I prefer 80 feet but will compromise at 75, 65 feet totally unacceptable! :x

Stupid DLNR. :roll:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm

I hope it stays at 70... rather than 65.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue May 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Looks like the water rose about 5' overnight! Looks like its gonna be muddy for a while..... :evil:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/hi/nwis/uv/?site_no=16210000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060</h3>/

Return to “General Discussion”