Who Is Interested In A Lake Clean-Up?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Who Is Interested In A Lake Clean-Up?

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:51 am

I'm thinking we should take this opportunity (extremely low water) to clean up some of the debris out of the lake. I'm not suggesting that we pick up every cigarette butt that is now exposed, but at least the larger items and things that could be detrimental to the lake's health, ie: car batteries, rusting metals, etc., etc.

We could take this negative condition of the lake and turn it into something positive. I think it would put the freshwater fishermen in a very positive light. Positive news coverage showing the users of the lake caring about the lake is always a good thing

Between Dole, DLNR, HFFA, and all boat & bank fishermen, it could be done in a weekend or two.

Post up if you'd show up. Thanks.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 am

I'm up for it!!

I'll be in Honolulu, 5-14 March. If it's during that time frame, willing to jump in and help.

Mel - Kahuna bass
World traveler....with little time to fish :evil:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm down if I am available. Just give me a time and location of where we will meet, and I will try to free up my schedule.

Float Tube 27
master baiter level

Postby Float Tube 27 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:37 pm

I would love to help as well but I'm keeping a rod close by just in case. :lol:

BillFHM3C
bass level

Postby BillFHM3C » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Sounds like a worthwhile plan. Let me/everyone know when and were and I'll do everything in my power to make it. Aloha!

Oh, yeah...do we get to keep what we catch/collect or are we catching and releasing/recycling?
The Worst Day Fishing beats the Best Day Working HANDS DOWN!!!

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:01 pm

im up for it!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:50 pm

I can't seem to get in touch with Stan so I'll be contacting Dole to see if they would be willing to support the effort. I think if we extract the rubbish and pile it at predetermined spots, they might coupld come by with their tgrucks and haul it away. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the suport.

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm in ! Anybody got a plan ?

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:42 pm

im in, they gonna let us launch a few boats from thr damn to support the effort?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:12 pm

BASSTRACKER wrote:im in, they gonna let us launch a few boats from thr damn to support the effort?

We will put that past the DLNR. A few boats would go a long way in the clean up effort.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:15 pm

If they are getting close to having the valve fixed, that means that we'll need to get the clean up going SOON. I'm thinking we'll meet at the boat ramp to hand out assignments in the AM, collect rubbish from pre-designated spots, and pile it up so that it may be hauled away. When I find out something, I'll let you guys know asap so that you may plan accordingly.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm down as well, I might be able to get some extra man power too. I'm in the Navy and volunteer work is big part on our advancement. So I'm sure if I put out info about a clean up I should be able to get some people to come out.

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:05 pm

I will definitely be willing to help and can bring a few keikis on the weekend.
Crash

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 am

I think I can do Part of the day Sunday. Not sure how we would access and remove the trash. Seems like under the bridges would be a good start, but you would almost need a grappling hook on a rope to haul out all those shopping carts.

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 pm

If anyone goes into the mud or water, make sure to protect yourself. Wear boots and cover up any body parts that may contact the mud or water. Monday me and a friend went into the mud to collect a few abanden boats, 2 hrs later we were both were very sick. I had a 102 fever and a very sore body. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I have a bacteria infection and it could possibly be leptospirosis. Just be careful when cleaning up the river. I will help if the day fits my schedule.

Return to “General Discussion”