Monday water level update.

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Monday water level update.

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:19 pm

The DLNR, Dole, and the engineers were working at the lake today to get things fixed.

A valve in the tunnel is being repaired. Today they closed a 2nd valve in the tunnel and that stopped the water from going out of the lake. The water level had to get down to 60 feet or less so they could work on it.

The problem valve should be repaired soon. If we get some rain the water level will start to rise again. (at 60 feet the boat ramp will be usable again)

It's the bottom gate in the tower that's stuck in the OPEN position. They are sending divers down tomorrow to see if something can be done about that.

The DLNR is monitoring the oxygen levels in the lake... It's OK now, but if it should approach the critical level there are water pumps, aerators, on standby and ready to go.

Let's watch the water level and see if those Mauka Showers put out enough rain to get that water level going in the "up" direction.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/hi/nwis/uv?cb ... o=16210000

It's nice to know that everyone is on top of the situation and doing everything possible to get things repaired.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

rain forecast for the weekend! cross your fingers! personally im kinda amazed things are getting done. has something really changed in the way dole and dlnr operate?? im impressed

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:38 pm

i'm a little curious as to why there is that little shack above the gates. Has anyone ever been in there? Is it just to cover a hole to oblivion?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:41 pm

BASSTRACKER wrote:rain forecast for the weekend! cross your fingers! personally im kinda amazed things are getting done. has something really changed in the way dole and dlnr operate?? im impressed

At the risk of sounding ungrateful for things getting done, I'm just curious as to how long Dole/DLNR knew about the problem with the broken valve and how quickly did they take action to get the repair going?

I wonder if their is a POC for Dole where we can turn to for info?

Bozu
bass level

Postby Bozu » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:08 pm

If my fading memory serves me right, that bottom valve that Stan mentions is about at the 20ish to 30ish foot lake level. I recall that the problem they ran into during past inspections was the amount of silt and mud that had collected on top of the valves made it all but impossible to get at.

Yep pray for rain because that bottom valve ain't gonna be an easy fix.
I hope they don't have to drop the lake down to that low level to clear out all that sediment to gain access for repairs. Rain baby rain...

Bozu

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:53 pm

BASSTRACKER wrote:personally im kinda amazed things are getting done. has something really changed in the way dole and dlnr operate?? im impressed

Couldn't agree more. I'm surprised as well.
Crash

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Anyone have an update on the water levels...I have drove by twice a day for the past and it looked like it has at least stopped dropping. I thought it looked like it might have risen a little bit today but I couldn't be certain.

I hope I can launch by next Friday, my wife thinks she can out fish me(silly woman) so I said we should have a "tournament" 3 fish limit, heaviest 3 win. All lures, I'm not gonna give her any tips or tie any of her lures. She can use anything in my boat and I sald I will unhook her fish. She actually been doing some studying on the internet, but it doesn't scare me...I fished my first tournament when I was 14 and placed 7th out of 60 teams. If she wins I have to set up a spa day for her, if I win I get to order a team daiwa steez svf jig rod. I can't wait to hold it. It should be fun.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:04 pm

if you were planning tommarow, forget it unless you tie a rope to the bumper and slide the boat down the bank at kunia point! there is but a small muddy stream left at the ramp and very little else till you get to the main basin. least it supposed to rain tommarow!! hope for the best! my wife has compiled quite the hunnydoo list in anticipation of the dry spell!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Next Friday is when we have it planned. It was pretty gloomy looking when I picked my kids up from schofield today. The wind was howling but it was just sprinkling a little.

This weekend I have to paint a room and replace the flooring in it. Along with other stuff that is sure to "pop" up.....can't wait until the day that my job is to fish!

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Rained hard last night looked outside in the morning and water level looks the same!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Looks like the water level is up about 7 inches from this time yesterday....
Only 3 feet to go to get to that magic 60 foot level so we can use the boat ramp. :lol:

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Took this pic today, Friday, 3-4-11. I counted 29 slats at the boat ramp. :evil:

Here is a pic taken by a friend a couple of days earlier. L:ooks ;like the rain had a very slight affect on the water level.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Did the DLNR actually fix the valve yet? It seems like the water should have gone up more...or maybe I need to fish soooo badly my expectations are to high. The jigs I ordered got in a few days ago and I keep looking at them envisioning them attatched to the lips of some bass. Also got some swim jigs..hopefully can get some tucs with em.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Boy, I sure would like to get a fire hose down there and wash away a bunch of that silt... :twisted:

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Stan Wright wrote:Boy, I sure would like to get a fire hose down there and wash away a bunch of that silt... :twisted:

A few years back when I ran the Maintenance section of DLNR/DOBOR Maui District I once had the Maui Fire Department come down to the Kihei ramp with their tanker truck and wash the silt away free of charge.

Sometimes all you have to do is ask. :wink:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Return to “General Discussion”