Prop Repair In Hawaii

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Prop Repair In Hawaii

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Anyone know who does prop repair on Oahu? I've Googled and can't find anyone still in business that can rebuild a prop.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 am

Probably not much help but an option. I have repaired a couple aluminum props with success using Marine Tex epoxy and shaping the patch before painting the whole prop, repair came out invisible and kept holding. These were on a 18 hp, and 4 hp outboards. DIY something to think about. :wink:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the option Ji. I damaged my original prop and had a friend TIG weld it back. You couldn't even see where the repair was done. It lasted 5-6 trips, then I saw a hairline crack, so I bought a brand new prop. I used this one 4-5 trips before it found a rock! :evil:

BillFHM3C
bass level

Postby BillFHM3C » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:52 pm

You might try Honolulu Community Colleges Maritime Marine Center. The have classes on fixing & maintaining boats. They were featured on a local fishing show a while back and the subject was "Prop Repair & Overhaul". They probably have a few alumni wandering the island, Sand Island Marina, Ala Wai Boat Harbor, Keehi Lagoon, etc., that might be able to help you out or at least get you headed in the right direction.

P.S. Always carry a spare prop...you never know when you'll need one.
The Worst Day Fishing beats the Best Day Working HANDS DOWN!!!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:23 pm

I actually saw that guy from the show at west marine a couple of weeks ago..I saw him and thought you look familiar...oh yeah that guy that fixes marine stuff from hawaii goes fishing or whatever they call it now..maybe lets go fishing.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:57 pm

i think if it were bad enough id just buy a new prop, the composite ones arent to bad and cost alot less. i had a really nice one that cost about 75$ and it was a really sweet 4 blade with a 10/13 and worked great to get on plane. got it from iboats i think. but alas the one problem with composite vs aluminum is they explode when they hit something!! worked awesom till our first tournament, and while waiting to trailer out we took a ride up south fork. as we were comming down you were comming up and we were comming down, you asked if we had seen the green dodge truck that someone had pushed into the lake............ hahaha noooo but 3 of my four prop blades did!!! back to my beat to hell aluminum one!! think ill get a new comp one when the water comes back up

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 pm

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks for the links Ji. I've seen the coke can demonstration 10+ years ago at the World Fair while visting in GA. I ordered some of the rods just now. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm glad I didn't throw away my original prop. Its in better shape than my new (recently damages) prop!

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 pm

You're welcome. I forgot about these Alumaloy rods but remembered I used some to patch a puka in the bottom of a aluminum jonboat the National Guard donated to me when I lived on Maui, worked great. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”