Looking for some help

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

stingr
minnow level

Looking for some help

Postby stingr » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Coming to your area the third week of Nov. for a Wedding. Will have some free time to go fishing. I've never fished Lake Wilson and I'm looking for some help with some few ideas on techinics, lures and colors. No secrets just some general info. I fish the local tournements we have here ( Washington State) and have been fishing for bass for over thirty yrs. I've gotten a LM over 8 and a SM over 7 looking forward to getting some Peacock bass. Any help will be a greatly appreciated! I might as well add that I have boat shop in Tacoma. I also have some tackle. If theres anything you have a hard time finding or can't find drop me a line. I work nights so some times I'm a little slow responding
Monte J. Sweeney I've been bass fishing for 30yrs.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:25 pm

Go to the "Lures & Flyes" link on the main page. Peacocks generally like smaller lures and top water action. Research "bubble rig" on here. IMO, the small gold fly is the most sucessful piece of tackle for this lake. Work permitting, I wouldn't mind taking you out.

Float Tube 27
master baiter level

Postby Float Tube 27 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 pm

I have most of my luck on jerk baits and crank baits along the shore line. If there are bait fish around there are peacocks.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Just remember that tucs and largemouths are completely different. Tucs feed only on other fish, so don't even bother with texas rigged worms, flipping jigs, and all that stuff, although you can get a lucky reaction strike once in a while. Stick to baitfish imitating lures in the smaller sizes and work them pretty fast. They are plentiful, so if you are on the water when they are feeding, you will catch them. If they aren't feeding, it can be the most frustrating feeling in the world seeing big fish totally ignore a lure cast repeatedly in front of their noses! This is why I call myself "skunked!". The only surefire way is to use live minnows, but I don't know if you are into that.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

stingr
minnow level

Postby stingr » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:29 pm

TKS For your repleys. What size of crankbait is concidered small 2-3". What type of fish do the tuc's feed on? So I can try to match color and shape. I have a couple thousand lures and need to get down to a couple dozen. What do you all think about the depth of the fish and water clarity in mid Nov. ? Topwater are poppers or stick type better (4 or 6")? I'm thinking of being 3 spinning outfits and 2 baitcasters with 6 to 10 lb test. How about the Largies what is best for them? I know this is alot to ask so I just wanted to thank you all again!!!! Monte
Monte J. Sweeney I've been bass fishing for 30yrs.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Tucs love feeding on the shad, so anything immitating them can work. Look on the Lures & Flys page. Top water poppers won't attract the Tucs, believe it or not. After catching 10-15 Tucs on a gold fly/bubble rig, I changed over to a Pop-R and suddenly felt very alone! :lol: Nadda, zilch. I've had good success with the LMB with a good ole red plastic flat-tail worm, purple worms also, rigged Texas style. White or wht/chart spinner baits and inline chart. spinners work for me. I wouldn't worry about catching a LMB, you can catch those most anywhere. Concentrate on the Tucs. They are more finicky than a LMB, but MUCH more agressive! 8)

Return to “General Discussion”