Morring at Lake Wilson Ramp

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

wahiawabasshunter
bass level

Morring at Lake Wilson Ramp

Postby wahiawabasshunter » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:15 pm

I am starting to get really frustrated with the mooring situation at the ramp. There is no where to tie your boat up to while you get your trailer if you are by yourself. I dont know if this issue has been addressed before or not but I think its time to do something about it. I will volunteer a brand new 10" marine grade galvanized clete if someone is willing to install it. It is probally better to have 2 or 3 but until another is donated 1 is better than none. Dont know if DLNR or the Parks Dept need to be notified or not. Sure someone has some info. Lets hear the feedback. Mahalo

Keith
basshunter ;)

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 pm

i have found a small anchor works well when launching by yourself, run out 6-8 ft of line and set it at the waters edge then drive the trailer up and out. have a couple of cushions tied to the side to prevent damage if it blows up to the wall.same thing commin in just keep the boat far enough out so you can get the trailer into the water. of course when a bunch of people are fishing all around the ramp it gets a bit more complicated, then you have to worry about fishing lines and people just sitting there lookin at you like your an inconvience.

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:40 am

I carry a metal stake and a hammer. Just drive it into the dirt and tie off. Doesnt matter what level the lake is at. The people fishing the shoreline at the ramp are another story of its own. Last Sunday we had a guy get really upset with us for pulling out our boats in his fishing spot. He went so far as to call us names I wont print, and even threaten us. I pulled my boat up to the parking lot and walked back down the hill to talk with him man to man. I nicely explained that he was fishing on a BOAT RAMP . The ONLY boat ramp ! Like Rodney King said , " Why cant we all get along ? " We are all there for the same reason. He later said he was sorry and shook my hand. Some of the people there just dont get it. They will not even move off the sidewalk as you try to land your boat. Why stand in dirt when there is a sidewalk ?? Go figure ! Anybody else ever have issues at the ramp ?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:56 am

With the water level going up and down till they get the dam fixed, something permanent probably will be a waste of time.
The HFFA offered to install tires along the ramp to act as bumpers... like you see on saltwater ramps. The DLNR vetoed the idea. They were
afraid people would be climbing all over them and get hurt. That's probably true though. :lol:

When the water was lower I drove some short wood spikes into the ground to tie off the boat... but people kept breaking them off or pulling them up. I found some 6 foot rebar's..(they didn't pull them out)

Now days I carry a small anchor or screw in spike. (Dog Anchor) I just smile and slowly drive up to the ramp... ask how the fishing is going, and climb over everyone. Most times people get the idea and move over... a little.
:D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:31 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know exactly what you're talking about Peg! I try to be courteous and not make big waves, etc. when launching or retrieving my boat. But yes, seems some of the bank fishermen forget WHERE THEY ARE AT! They have a choice where to be, we dont.

I doubt any agency will officially allow and work to be done on the boat ramp, no matter how good the idea. If you want a cleat installed, it should just magically appear one day. But Stan is right, the ideal location for a cleat today may be a useless location the next week. (welcome to Lake Wilson) :lol: I think a long rebar and a sledge hammer is the best solution. Just cap the top of the rebar to protect passersby. I usually just pull my boat up on the bank on the cove side of the ramp and don't need to tie off.

wahiawabasshunter
bass level

Postby wahiawabasshunter » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:59 am

Well if there were no cletes at the ramp after all this time there must be a catch..As for a clete magically appearing I think the installation will require some power tools and some noise..I used to be one of those guys that fished the ramp so I see the shorefishers frustration with boats comin in and out..but there is alway the option to move..As for rudeness from people at the ramp..I dont get any problems..Damm sure aint letting anyone curse at me..Anyway guess Imma have to bring hammer and some kinda steak to put into the dirt to moore off of..Thanks for the imput..
basshunter ;)

Return to “General Discussion”