Lake Wilson Dam Repair

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Lake Wilson Dam Repair

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Looks like contracts will be signed this week to repair the flood gates on the dam. Work should be pau by November.
Read all about it:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/sto ... S=12700761
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Well they couldn't have picked a worse time. I'm wondering if they'll have to drain down the lake like last year, right during prime fishing season to do the repairs, then it'll be done just as the peacocks shut down for the winter! :evil:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:17 am

I was kind of thinking the same thing... here we are comming up on the best time of the year to fish and the lake will have to be drained to fix the flood gates.

On the positave side... we'll get the dam fixed and the lake can be kept at a steady level.

With the very successful spawn of bluegill, largemouth and peacock bass, can you imagine the feeding frenzy as the water level drops and all those little fish don't have any grass to hide in? As long as we can get a boat in the water, we should have some fantastic fishing...
The shore fishermen will have a lot more access to the lake during the low water. Even with low water we can still go fishing. (Remember when the sulvenia molesta closed the lake for over a year?)

Once the dam is fixed, the fish will come back... better than before.
:D :D :D

Bozu
bass level

Postby Bozu » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 am

Gee funny how they always blame ol lake Wilson for flooding problems down stream. Otake camp and that whole area is a Flood ZONE.
They label it a Flood Zone because guess what it tends to flood now and then. The area has always had a history of flooding even way back before the reservoir was built. FYI the area is below sea level and parts barely at sea level.

Food for thought. If you go to a hotel and while taking a shower the water starts to rise up higher and higher in the tub. Do you call the front desk and complain about the shower head spurting out too much water ?
No, you tell them the bath tub drain is clogged and water is backing up.

Same problem down stream of Lake Wilson. Water can't drain off fast enough because the stream system that drains off into Kaiaka Bay is so heavily silted and the vegetation so overgrown that it impedes the waterflow. So it all backs up and voila a flood.

So its easier to put all the blame on the Wilson Dam rather than figure out 1) how to dredge the stream. 2)who's gonna pay for it.
The old time farmers who planted their crops in that flood prone area knew of risks and accecpted the risks. Why do yo think they loved plantng their crops there ? The area has super rich topsoil carried down from mauka (uplands) by the stream and deposited on the fields by guess what the Flood.

They can fix the gates at the Dam which will help speed the draining of the lake, but it won't fix the flooding problem down stream "for good" as newspaper article states.

Just my 2 cents
Bozu

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:51 am

Very true and good points. Even if the flood gates are repaired, in the event of a flood, once the water goes over the spillway, there is no stoping it. You are very correct. Its a "drainage" problem, not a "dam" problem.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hay, you guys cool it till after they fix the dam.
8) 8) 8)
When the first rain comes they're going to figure out what your saying is correct.
And then Dole can't be blamed.... they fixed the dam, right?
:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
And besides, how that same guy going get on TV every time it rains?
You know, the guy standing knee deep in is yard pointing to his car floating? I think I would have moved out of that place after the first time it flooded. Da?

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:50 pm

i remember when the cane haul bridge by kaiaka bay was an awesome fishing spot. Tons of lg papio, lai, mullet, etc.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:41 pm

ahhhhhhh yes drained in july for damn dam repair eh??? till november?? why dont i believe the timeline hahahaha. bummer and the tourney is set for august just in time for a 55ft water level.............

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:00 am

It may end up as a "shore fishing" jackpot tournament.
:roll:

Return to “General Discussion”