a tale of two combos

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

a tale of two combos

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:33 pm

black friday saw some stellar deals at cabelas and bass pro shops, unbeknownst to the wife, she got me some really nice lures as well as a few replacements! anyhow got a pretty good deal on a curado reel and prodigy rod combo from cabelas, was 249$ on sale for 199$ had a code for and extra 20$ off and free shipping for anything over 100$. bass pro shops had some similar deals,always a wider selection and i got a quantum vandam signature crankin combo for 169$ with 20$ off code andused my points to get it down to 110$ good deal i thought, spent 38$ to get 3 day air which turned into 6 day air apparently,rippped off.pole shows up in a tube bent 90 degrees about a third of the way down,luckily the pole is intact, but wheres the reel ? go online and check the order and nope only the pole although the confirmation email says combo.after an hour of waiting and talking to people in customer service i find out DESPITE being able to click on a box that says you can get a combo, apparently you cant do it via the internet???? what?? i dunno.they wanted to charge me full price for the reel and more shipping!!!now cabelas was free shipping and was standard mail.came today, only 2 days later than bass pros 3 day!!!!! a rod tube in a long square box wrapped in lots of bubble wrap with the lures and the reel at the bottom. open the tube and the rod has several lengths of pipe insulation keeping the pole suspended inside the tube and has cardboard cover over the tip just to be sure! talk about the way to ship a rod!!! and i know from previous experience cabelas WILL go out of thier way to make you happy no matter what it takes(ones got a rod tube in 2 pieces) wasnt a 2 piece rod hahaha, they took it right back and sent another at thier cost despite U.P.S. trying to make it a hassle.MAKE IT A MERRY CHRISTMAS ORDER CABELAS!!.................... oh ya gots me another tilapia series 5!! ohhhhhhhhhh ya

adpetree
bass level

Postby adpetree » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:31 am

i just recently have been ordering new rods from BPS. im getting all of the quantum pt energy rods, and the pflueger patriarch reels. those reels are AMAZING!! im definately saving the packaging that the rods are coming in, so when i move back to the mainland, i can trust them (somewhat) with the movers!!! good for you man!!!
Thanks,

Adam

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Yep, BPS shipping sucks. I made a thread a few years ago about this same topic. Too bad they have some stuff that Cabela's doesn't have. Oh well, it's the price we pay for living in paradise.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:41 pm

skunked wrote:Oh well, it's the price we pay for living in paradise.

DOes living in Whitmo count as paradise? :roll:

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:28 am

My last shipping experience with BPS was alright...rod and tube came in intact...but it was an UglyStik so it may not tell the whole truth as we all know how tough these rods can be.

I ordered a portable fishfinder and a portable icefishing shelter from BPS recently...I hope they survive...it's $320 of product there...
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:08 pm

adpetree wrote:, and the pflueger patriarch reels. those reels are AMAZING!!

Maybe its just bad luck, but my first and only Pflueger reel took a dump with less than 200 casts on it! :? It looked like a decent reel, 9 bearings. I'll be taking it back to Sports Authority this week.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:33 pm

to add insult to injury, after much effort bps agreed to ship said reel for the diffrence in price of the combo minus the rod and with free shipping, of course standard air..... a diffrence of about 90$. so today i get the "super special christmas sale" catalog and the same reel is on sale from 109$ to 79$. somehow i still get screwed outa 2 weeks and 20$ hahahaha ohhhhhhh wait standard air to hawaii during chrsitmas....... thats 4-6 weeks out!!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Well I hope they at least kissed you first! :wink:

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:30 am

roadwarriorsvt wrote:
skunked wrote:Oh well, it's the price we pay for living in paradise.

DOes living in Whitmo count as paradise? :roll:

Good one! Maybe a paradise for pakalolo dealers! Nah, it's been my home for 32 years now, so I am just used to it. I don't think I'll ever move to town. Texas maybe, but Honolulu..No. I'll just keep doing my 54 mile commute to Waikiki every day at $3.20 per gallon!
As far as Pflueger reels, I think they are like Hyundai and Kia, which is to say that they are catching up to the big boys (Shimano/Daiwa). Not quite there yet, but getting there. I have a Patriarch, President baitcast, and President Spinning. They are all super smooth reels and perform well. I do notice that they don't keep that brand new feeling for very long though. They are way behind the times when it comes to catering to the left hand retrieve market also, which sucks for me.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Return to “General Discussion”