Boat repair

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

ericwilliam
bait level

Boat repair

Postby ericwilliam » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi, I need some help. I own an aluminum boat and it has split right where you hook the trailer strap to the eye to winch the boat up onto the trailer and it is getting worse. Water is flowing through the crack as I am fishing throughout the day. Can someone refer me a boat repair technician who can help me repairing my boat?

Boat repair

Jesse
bass level

Postby Jesse » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:18 pm

If you want to try fix it your self try using an epoxy call G-flex. You can get it at West Marine.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/patch-hole ... lex-epoxy/

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Normally I'd say a good epoxy would suffice, but if the crack is near the bow hook, that area will stress every time you winch the boat up on the trailer. A more permanent solution would be to have someone TIG weld an aluminum patch over the split. TIG welding is more tedious than other forms of welding, therefore more expensive. On second thought, maybe try the epoxy first, then when/if that fails, go the more permanent route.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:01 pm

roadwarriorsvt wrote:Normally I'd say a good epoxy would suffice, but if the crack is near the bow hook, that area will stress every time you winch the boat up on the trailer. A more permanent solution would be to have someone TIG weld an aluminum patch over the split. TIG welding is more tedious than other forms of welding, therefore more expensive. On second thought, maybe try the epoxy first, then when/if that fails, go the more permanent route.

I agree. That portion of your boat is pretty much crucial to launching and taking out. I'd take the time to fix it correctly. A bandaid might help the short term problem, but it sounds like you'll definitely need a more permanent solution eventually.

Best of luck....and keep us posted on where you eventually get it fixed.
Crash

Return to “General Discussion”