fly reel

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

ynototony
bass level

fly reel

Postby ynototony » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Hey guys I've had this fly reel laying around for to long and don't know anything about it. It's made by a company called Orvis and is a CFO 123. I thought if anyone would know about this it would be you guys. I would probably even get rid of it for a reasonable price. Any info???

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Has it been used? It's a pretty solid reel and Orvis is a top manufacturer. Is there a case and/or any paperwork to go with it?
Crash

ynototony
bass level

Postby ynototony » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Crash wrote:Has it been used? It's a pretty solid reel and Orvis is a top manufacturer. Is there a case and/or any paperwork to go with it?
I've never used it and looks brand new.. it has the leather case it came in shown in the picture I posted. It says made in England and has a paper. It states 3 1/4 oz and can be easily converted from left to right hand without removing the pawls. Also says unconditionally guaranteed against any defect or material or workmanship which I thought was pretty cool.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:09 am

:D
It's a good quality reel.
What size fly line is it rated for?
What kind of drag does it have?

I looked up Orvis CFO 123 on Google and got this...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=orvis+cfo+123

These 2 were going for $132.50 and asking $199.
Don't know if it's the same as yours, but on the Orvis site a CFO 123 is $395.

I'll give you $25 for it...
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
LOL LOL LOL
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:16 am

Stan, you should have offered $25, buy it, then give all the info you found on Google :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Okay...now let's be serious about this reel...

Orvis makes a new model of the CFO and there is a click and pawl model and a disk drag model.

Yours looks to be a vintage item...circa "I don't know". I don't collect vintage reels...or really have an interest in older stuff that would zap away money and take up storage space. :lol: Sorry I couldn't help there.

It has a drag mechanism. The little black dial on the back on the reel (non-handle side) is the drag adjustment knob.

There is a little tab on the front side of the reel (close to the center at the little silver area with the CFO 123 engraving). You can push that and basically disengage the lock on the spool of the reel. You can then take the spool off the spoke. That's in case you need to change it from LH to RH...or vice versa.

The picture is a little too blurry for me to read what kind of drag it has.

I can't tell what size line the reel should be lined with (eg. WF-3F or WF-5F, or maybe a size like I, II or III, etc). At 3-ish oz, I'd say it's like a reel meant for small lines...maybe anywhere from 2- to 4-wt line.

Nice reel regardless...plus it's made in England...which should state great workmanship!

Not sure what it is worthed...but what Stan found of eBay should be a good start, especially for vintage items. :D
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Sent an email to some fly fishing guys I know:

---- Not that I need another reel, but this is a good click and pawl reel for 1-3wt lines. Like you indicated on the blog, the Orvis site it sells for $395
Great trout reel. Spent all my discretionary $’s on the current rod I’m making …… a 6wt Sage Z-Axis - I am still dreaming of that 8# Tuc…..
stevelee

---- Craig
> Hi STAN,
> Clay will know, for sure!!

--- Clay
that is an orvis 123 from when they were still made in england. i have one (of course). it is from the early 90's. it is not rare but they don't make them in that size or in england anymore. best used for a 3wt or smaller. super good reel but on the small side. i think it was the smallest of that series. cfo's are sweet and one of the very few orvis products that i like. two bills or so is about right for that reel if it's in super good condition. not cheap but okay. eh, craig, where u stay? let's go fish!
clay.

Nervous Water Fly Fishers, Inc.
3434 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816
(808) 734-7359
www.nervouswaterhawaii.com
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

ynototony
bass level

Postby ynototony » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 am

Well like I said I have had it for years and have done nothing with it. I'll take 150 or best offer if anyone is interested on here and if not ill just sell it on eBay. I prefer my braided line and little spinning reels for the shore fishing I do.

Return to “General Discussion”