to whom it may concern

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

to whom it may concern

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:18 pm

sorry comps been down havent posted this story earlier. anyways was fishing on morgans few weeks ago and saw a dead fish floating off the point, wasnt moving in the wind thought it was kinda weird so i went over to it and saw it was a bass. might have gone 2 maybe 2 1/2 lbs when it was alive. hadnt been dead long it wasnt bloated yet. it had line coming out of its mouth so i lipped it and looked in the mouth. it had a red/black worm in there with the 2/0 hook pinning the gullet closed,literally had swallowed the hook and it was through the top and bottom of the gullet.there was maybe 20-30ft of line and it was wedged in some rocks on the point. it came off and i retrieved the line cut it and set the fish back afloat.dunno if it starved to death,drowned do to lack of movement or what but it looked pretty thin so i dunno. took a few pics with my phone but cant seem to load em to the comp.anyways figured i pass on the fish story so whomever caught it can put closure to the "monster" that got away !! :D

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Wow,,, The Other day when I was there I kept getting snagged on this Line that was underwater off the point, When I pulled the line up it was 20ft of line. So ya,, some neglect happening at Morgan's Point :? Just thinking about it,, going to make a Video of How To Get a Hook out when swallowed.. Sure a lot know of it already, but thos how don't. Its pretty simple, slide the EYE of the hook threw the gills, grab the round bend of hook, n pull.....

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Any fish that gets away or breaks the line weighs 10 pounds.
:roll:
I've caught several fish with hooks in their mouth. Some were new, others rusted almost completely out. When I can't get a hook out because it's hooked too deep, I try to cut off the line as close to the hook as possible and release the fish... hopefully it will have a better chance of survival than if I botched the job of removing the hook.

I also try to use only barblesss hooks. Makes removing the hook so much easier.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Jesse
bass level

Postby Jesse » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:18 pm

I think I saw that floater by Morgans. Do fish survive when the hook gets caught in the gills. I hooked a couple of fish that got caught in the gills, I tried to remove it as gentle as possible. I felt pretty bad hoping that it will survive.

Return to “General Discussion”