Lure at the end of the Rainbow

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Lure at the end of the Rainbow

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:35 am

:shock:
I have what I consider a healthy respect for electricity... I would not even consider trying to install a ceiling fan... even changing a faulty light switch scares me.

I retreat from the lake at any hint of thunder and lightning. After all, there is a label right on my fishing rod that warns of the danger of holding a graphite "lightning rod" during a thunder storm.

Until recently, I had never met a person who was struck by lightning... and lived to tell about it. That would explain Shane's verbal warning to be very careful as we approached the over head wires that stretch accross the lake from Boy Scout Island to Mikimiki Pt.

"Watch those wires when your casting." "Keep away from those wires." "Careful with your cast"

I didn't think much about it. I've lost several lures when my cast looped over the wire and stuck the hooks and I had to break my line. Other times the lure just hung down and we were able to slack line, and cut the lure off and save it.

It was really no surprise when the peacock bass suddenly started busting the surface near the boat in a tennis court size school of whitewater. All three of us cast at the same time.
The surprise came from Shane. His lure, a big black Buzz Bait, was headed up and over the highline wires. Shane screamed and jerked on the rod, trying to stop his cast.

When the lure stopped going forward, it came flying back and did several turns around the wire. With eyes as big as soccers and a strange sound coming from his throat, Shane flung his rod and reel into the air and over the side of the boat. He wanted nothing to do with any thing related to electricity.

We were able to go over and retrieve the rod and reel. The lure was hopelessly looped around the electric line and dangles several feet below it. We cut the line.

It was only then that Shane told us about his being struck by lightning. His brush with death was not a pretty story. I can now well appreciate his feelings regarding electricity.

Oh, last week I was up at the lake and the lure is still dangling from the wire up by BSA Island.

Shane says if you want it, your more than welcome to it.
:twisted:
Last edited by Stan Wright on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:00 pm

personally i dont beleive most lines would conduct electricity and im sure those 150k lines would melt it long before it go to you. more danger when the lakes high of getting a pole to close and having it arc to you, it can arc 10-15ft easy, that i have seen!! and everyone in the boat and water would be in bad shape. i understand his caution though! i been out on the water 3 times in heavy lightning and man that was nooooo funn!!

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks for sharing my story Stan. I have no clue why I drop my pole. It was just a quick reaction. I doubt 40 lb braided is a conductor of electricity, but I just don't mess with it. I'm sure one of these days someone will be a new owner of a black buzzbait, but until then its my donation to Lake Wilson.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 pm

I have seen what lightning does to trees and can't imagine how a human could possibly live through that. You are truly a blessed man to be here.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “General Discussion”