frog?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

frog?

Postby marcusn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:14 pm

anyone have luck fishing a frog near grass? i was looking at a koppers live target frog but they are a little expensive so i wanted to know if they work at wilson.

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 pm

I could be wrong, but I think Roadwarriorsvt uses a frog and has had some luck. Last year I caught a bull frog with a spro frog by the ramp. It was pretty funny. I threw it into some grassy water. Saw something hit, and I set the hook. What I saw next was a flying bullfrog headed straight for my head. I'm sure the LM would definitely hit it. The Tucs i'm not to sure about. I haven't quite mastered the art of fishing for tucs.

blast from the past
bass level

frogs

Postby blast from the past » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:10 am

in past years, there were an abundance of frogs. the bass were probably eating the frogs when they could. but the habitat must have been just right for it to happen; shallow water with vegetation and old fallen trees, where deeper water was nearby. i remember there was also a very small frog that was almost black in color - they hatched right out of the ground. i wonder if those frogs still exist now. i wonder, do any of you out there still catch a bass with a topwater frog? maybe it's not that often in Wahiawa water. our favorite way to catch a bass was to cast a rubber worm and let it tumble down to the bottom. we would find a steep bank, where under the water it dropped off very steeply to deep water - a steep angle to the bottom. we'd look for water that dropped off at a 45-degree angle to about 5 to 10 feet deep, even if there was no vegetation around. the worm tumbling down to the bottom always caught a bass sooner or later, like that. we'd cast out and hit the bank above the water with the worm and let the worm fall into the water. then we'd twitch it now and then: you see, this copies an earthworm falling into the water and twirling down to the bottom. the bass would always hit the worm when it reached the bottom. we'd twitch it now and then to make it look alive. the bass were between 12 and 17" (maybe 2.5lbs?).

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:53 am

Not me. I think it was Basstracker that caught a few on frogs when the water was up in the grass.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 pm

yep i was froggin heavy when the water came up into the grass,first two weeks when the water came up the slop fishing was epic,id wouldnt do a koppers,its not really any diffrent than any other non weedless topwater.i have had great success with spro bronzeyes,darker colors better.popper ones and regular both work well,very weedless and the fish seemed to be really snugged up there for awhile.pole and line makes a huge diffrence tried several actions and best was a 7ft medium,to light no hookset,too heavy they dont get the hooks it seemed.braid was the way to go,i use fireline 20lb floats good keeping the frog fromsinking and it helps horse em out of the grass.have a 3 ft 12lb flouro leader,in that heavy cover size wasnt as much a factor as strength.reel speed well faster is better i use a 6.3.1 but a 7 might even better. back in the day id really knock em pitchin the creme frogs up onto banks under ironwood roots and slowly working them back out,got some lunkers back then.that bite didnt materialize this last high water. the frog bite faded after a few weeks, but when the water comes back up im hoping the grass will be nice and thick and green again!!! ill be on it with kermit!!

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:49 am

I make a frog,, but use spro frogs mostly... I gotta get back to my frog soon before the next season and adjust it a bit. Heavier and harder.. Thats some really good input Basstracker about rod action and fireline floats! didn't know that.... I've seen Tadpoles at the launch all the time... And a lot of Turtles!! pretty cool.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 pm

my bad i just saw koppers does have similar frog to the spro and it won best in icast, i may have to try one but i really like the spro popper frog.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 pm

ya i saw some good reviews of it, but i heard good reviews on the spro frog too

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:26 pm

I had a ton of blow ups on the Zoom Horny Toads! Not nearly as many hookups though :( But that was due to the hooks I was using. Recently picked some hooks up similar to this that I'm sure would have increased hookups:
http://www.basspro.com/Gambler&-x00ae;- ... LL_PRODUCT

I had A LOT of tucs blow up on em but only hooked a few. Every time I could get the frog to run parallel to a log(bumping into as well) a tuc would blow up on it. Caught a few nice LGM as well I was using a bullfrog color that was kind of a lime green on top with a bright greenish yellow on the bottom. Like BASSTRACKER was saying the first two weeks are good when the water comes up then it kinda dies down. I have 50lb braid on my frog rod which is a 7ft MH Prodigy. If I ever get real serious into frog fishing I would probably get a 7'6" MH Rod as I could see the extra length being nice while fishing mats that are larger.

Return to “General Discussion”