which one?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:44 am

thanks for the help everyone, oh god skunked heres the other question. what reel would i get to match the rod? i was looking at the cheaper end revos and the citica. im leaning towards the citica

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:18 pm

I have the revo S, and wouldn't buy another. First off I've had it for only 2 years and it's broken, probably repairable, but that's not the point . Second, it doesn't have a magnetic spool control that is standard on almost all low profile reels. It does cast a mile and is fairly smooth, but got with the citica. I think Shimano owns the marked for reels that are $250 and less. You might want to think about saving a little more money and get a Curado. Even a lot of the top pros use Curados, and most of those guys can fish with whatever they'd like. I think I have 5 or 6 curados and haven't had a single issue with them. Even have one that is 9 years old and still works great!

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:32 pm

ya since they're on sale for the older models ill get a curado

seabass
bass level

Postby seabass » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Congrats on graduating to "King Sushi Level".

All of the $50 Citicas and $76 Curados sold out, but be patient. There will be more clearance coming soon.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 pm

oh i didnt even know im a king sushi now haha. wow $50 citicas. what a steal

seabass
bass level

Postby seabass » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:13 pm

u could have made use of the Curado on the Tuc and barracuda today. You will love that reel! 8)

Perfect for the curly tails I'm shipping you and with your Wax Wings :wink:

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:36 am

I have to say that I concur with bass hunter about that Fenwick GT rod. It's a great little UL rod for wahiawa, and good quality for the $. It's one of the first rods I picked up a few years ago when i started fishing wilson again, paired with a 8025 pfleuger supreme and 4# line, it's still definitely a favorite. It might not have the backbone to pull a monster out of the logs, but it males the fight fun when fishing schoolies in open in open water and on the points. I have since spent a bunch of $ on G loomis rods, st croix, temple fork loomis in mostly medium power. Which i feel are all good gear, but with the schoolies it usually feels like I can horse them in too easily with that gear. But then i Haven't yet caught anything over 4.4 #s, so my tune may change if I hook into a beast with it.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:23 pm

my eagle gt is a 7ft ultralight paired with a sedona 1000 for trout fishing. thats also what i use for my smallmouth adventures. and also my weightless senko pole. fenwick is my favorite rod manufacturer

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Marcusn,
what did you you decide on for your rod? If you have decided yet? Curado 200e's are on sale at tacklewarehouse.com for 140.

Skunked,
did you see that the new Curado 200 G series comes in almost all gear ratios? I think the only reel that I really "need" is the Castaic for my flippin stick. I've been using a crappy quantum that I bought awhile ago because it was the only one I could find at the time with a flippin button that "needs" to be upgraded :) The addition of the Castaic would put my Crucial back into my arsenal since it is reeles due to the death of my Revo S and also put my quantum out of a job :)

( 808) bass hunter
angler level

Postby ( 808) bass hunter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:15 pm

:) :D :wink: Yup!!!( mark white also uses them) i"ve caught some nice size tucs on them using 6# test!!! and they hold up well. i use the white road runner 1/8 oz size , Man the tucs tear it up!!! I have mine paired up w/ 750 sahara fb (shimano) awesome combo!!!(see reveiw @ tackle tour.com) good for throwing that 2 inch senko :D its the only one in that series that has a super slow oscliation and ratio of 4:7 to 1 perfect not to fast!!! the newer models now have a faster gear ratio of 5:6 or higher!!! oh yeah its perfect for the kast master set up too!!! this combo here to me gets my vote for most bang for your buck!!! :wink: in the ultra light finnesse set up!!!

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:49 pm

ca bass,
i was actually going to go with your advice and get a allstar. i read some reviews and they seem pretty nice. then match it up with a citica or curado, which ever one i find. i was so close to getting a veritas but i read a lot of reviews of them breaking. my next rod might be a carrot stix but i want to save up for a duckett

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Haven't been on the internet in several days. Marcus, I just literally 30 minutes ago bought a Duckett Micro Magic 6'9" MH (DFMM69MHC) casting rod at Fisherman's One Stop in Stan's hometown of Yantis, TX!! Gonna try it out on my guided trip on Lake Fork tomorrow morning. Wish us luck! Well, me at least. Don't wish my wife luck because she always beats me when we fish here! Sucks! I hope I don't pass out from the 103 deg. heat.
If I like it, I may order a Med. power one for use back home. Also played with Powell Max and Endurance rods there and they felt nice too. I wanted to check the Dobyns Savvy series at Lake Fork Trophy Lures, but they were out of stock there.
Alec, I was disappointed in the specs and feature set of the new Curados on paper, but they are cheaper than the outgoing model and I am trying not to judge them until actually trying them. Kind of sad that they are not being made in Japan anymore though.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:51 pm

blaine let me know how that duckett feels! what baits are you going to be using at lake fork?

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:58 pm

yes!! the duckette rods have me wondering too, supposedly an evolution of the carrot stix, we eagerly await your opinion!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Anyone checked out Daiwas new lineup of reels..seems like they overloaded their line of top end reels. I would like to have them all :)

I've heard good things about the duckette rods too, I read somewhere that he did away with the carrot stix because they way they started making them he was breaking them. I'm pretty happy with most of my rods, but as I break them I plan on replacing them all with Team Daiwa Zillions, I've read a lot of good things about the Zillion Line, and the are SOOO much cheaper than the Steez. I would love to have a whole arsenal of Steez rods and reels but my wife would kill me :)

Skunked,

How long are you in Texas for? I'll be here in San Angelo (West Texas) to the 26th of this month. If you have plans of traveling around at all maybe we could meet up and fish. I'm about 6 hours away from Dallas right now...OH Ivie is about an 1.5 hours drive from base :) And I wont charge you to fish from my Z8 :)

Return to “General Discussion”