Filthy craw

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Filthy craw

Postby Filthyfisherman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:38 pm

So I saw a post about a place selling crawfish, and it got me thinking.. I've already had the mold ordered, I wasn't sure about crawfish on the island. But when I return to PA to fish tourneys, Its something I need in my arsinal. But the Lizzard seems to be working,, so I think this will be another nice addition here at Wilson... This is totally custom Filthyfishermen Bait Co lure, has FF embroided in the belly.... First Craw made in Hawaii....

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Are those long enough to rig a 1/0 or 2/0 weedless? I think dark blue or black with blue or red sparkles would be the ticket!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 pm

is it hollow like the paca craws?

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 am

Na,, its solid.. Salt injected, Crawfish scented... It's ideal for 3/0 to 4/0 EWG or flipping hook... Be Aware TroKar hooks shatter! Their cast so hard,, they will break on impact on a very hard object, such as concrete.. But Gamagatsu Makes a Flipping style hook works good too... It looks good, I am pumped up about this lure... Total custom made... Its one of the last lures I needed in my arsinal... I need a 6" worm and working on a NEW Custom Design for a lure!!! I need to see the bait fish more!!! Think I could put out minnow traps? Want to see these bait fish the fish school on..

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:22 pm

would you fish these the same way you fish the agent utahs? or slower?

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:16 am

:lol: Trokar hooks...really, what kind of special technology is that? You mean, I can't just take a hook file and file down my hooks to achieve a very sharp cutting edge on them? :roll:

Take a read from Mike Sakamoto's 101 Fishing Tips pages...and see how Mike described his hook sharpening method. Much simpler methods much stronger to get a sharp penetrating point.

All of this is just marketing to get you to buy...just a bunch of fads...

It speaks volume of the brainiacs behind these "technologies" when they plot the graph in this atrocious manner :roll: Did they learn anything in grade school math class at all??? :roll:

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Plus they cost way too much..gamakatsu cost more then they should and are sharp enough for me! Im not a big fan of the Gamakatsu EWG's for flipping/creature baits. I have a better hook up ratio with the owner twist lock flippin (3/0 to 5/0) than Gama EWG's. Owner used to make one similar to the twist lock that was better, instead of a twist lock it just had a pin. I actually still have a pretty big supply but they have mostly rusted as i've had em for quite awhile. The reason I dont like the Gama EWG's is they have that straight part after the bend by the point and for me anyways..they point is always popping out and hanging up in heavy brush. Even with a deep skin hook, I end up having to fix them to often.

Filthy Fisherman,

Ive got an idea for a 6" worm...while it's not %100 original it has never been mass produced..though there may be a few baits that are similar(Kinda hard nowadays to come up with something truly original. My old tourney partner used to pour all his own stuff..actually won a lure making competition in Bassin magazine put on by luhr-jensen. But anyways back to the point..he doesnt pour softplastics anymore as it's cheaper to buy roboworms than to hand pour nowadays. We used to catch a lot of fish on his "Frankenstein" worm.

Pretty much it was a 6" ribbed worm(not ring worm) with a lizard head and 3D eyes. He also made some ribbed lizards that were similar but had curly tails and were awesome for flipping. I think he just took the two baits, a ribbed worm and lizard cut the head off the lizard spliced it to the ribbed worm and then made a plaster mold (dunno if that is the actual material) of the bait. My favorite thing about it was you could fish it (shake it) just like a normal 6" finesse worm with a 1/8th worm weight and 2/0 re-barb hook, but it had the bulk to interest the larger fish. It was pretty much a big fish bait you could fish on finesse tackle and in finesse conditions. He would make us special night ones for the night tourneys we fished with glow eyes and about a 1/4 inch of glowing plastic on the tail.

pretty much it had this body with a lizard head and 3D eyes. Not sure how wide the worm in this pic is but the worms he made were about a 1/2 inch. They also didn't have a paddle tail, just ribs all the way down.

Return to “General Discussion”