Fly Rod and Reel

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Jesse
bass level

Fly Rod and Reel

Postby Jesse » Mon May 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Looking to buy a new fly rod and reel set up. Time to upgrade from my cheap starter combo. I wanna get something that I can use on the lake and take out to the flats to catch Bone fish and Papios. I was thinking a 8 weight would be perfect. I saw a few nice setups on the Cabelas site. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon May 16, 2011 7:56 pm

I personally prefer a 9wt for most saltwater but Windward side is windy.
The place has some pretty decent sales from time to time: http://www.albrightflyfishing.com/index.html
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon May 16, 2011 9:40 pm

We use a 7, 8, or 9wt on the flats... depending on the wind. I'd say an 8wt is a good choice. You need a reel with a good drag... and backing. A 4 or 5 pound bonefish will tear off 100 yards of line on the first run. Go by and visit Sean at Nervous Water.

We use a 5wt or a 6wt on the lake. I've never had a peacock bass get me into the backing... even the 5 to 7 pounders.

I like the lighter rods on the lake because we are casting almost constantly.
And using smaller flys. The average peacock bass we catch is around 2 pounds. A lighter rod is fun with the smaller fish, but will still handle larger freshwater fish.

On the flats you don't cast nearly as much, it's more like hunting and then taking a shot when you see something.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Jesse
bass level

Postby Jesse » Wed May 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go with the 8 wt I'm gonna go down to Nervous Waters on Friday, I gotta get more flies!

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

I just got a Cabela's flyer in the mail with Reddington fly rods on clearance for $49.50! :shock:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_c ... 1b-31-9588
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu May 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Get two! A 6wt and a 9wt and get a orvis battenkill barstock wf7f and some 6wt and 9wt line, I know that reel it fine with both a 6 and a 9wt that why I recommend it, not a huge fan of the drag, the orvis larg arbor I have has a much better drag. Definitely try to get a reel you can put at least 175yds of backing on. Like stan said, I've had 3 and 4 pound bones come close to spooling me! The reel might be a tad undersized for large bones, but I have landed a couple 6 or 7 pounders with it.

One thing I always tell myself when I buy fishing equipment is....I get what I pay for(usually anyways). I've learned this the hard way thorugh fishing and remote controled cars. If I would have bought the good stuff initially I would have actually saved money. Because its never long before I realize that my cheap equipment does not perform well or breaks. And many top companies provide good waranties with their stuff. If you are serious about something and will use it often get the good stuff! Or at least go with a good name like sage and get their lower end stuff.

I'm gonna try to make it to the hickam flats before I leave and try to catch some more bonefish..they definitely don't have those in Georgia. Once I got my tracker I stopped fishing the flats.

Anyone wanna go? I'll fish all day from my boat by myself but I don't like wading through the flats alone. Need someone to carry my rod back in case one of those black tips decides I look like a tasty treat :)

blast from the past
bass level

Postby blast from the past » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 am

Wright and McGill company makes a four-piece outfit, rod-reel combo that is good. Comes in a carry case. In 4,5,6,7 weights. Not expensive but good stuff. 79.00 to 129.99. I know that Outdoor Emporium in Seattle sells them. Seven weight might be a good choice, with #8 line: Papio and o'io outfit. You could also travel someday with it (maybe Alaska or Baja) and use it for all kinds of fishing. That's an idea: i still use my old cheap Pflueger outfit - the one with the green 3-pc. 5/6wt. rod and the black standard Pflueger reel. It was on sale for 19.99! It cost 29.99 regular priced. It works real good actually! Maybe i should move up to a better outfit too.

Return to “General Discussion”