muddy water techniques?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

KIA68
master baiter level

muddy water techniques?

Postby KIA68 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Just wondering what the best techniques are when the water is muddy? I have used spinners, cranks, jigs, jerks, worms, and top water baits. I have been catching a few here and there. Maybe i dont stick to one technique for a long period, but after a while i get bored and try something different. Even with the water muddy i have been catching smaller fish with worms (texas rig).... Im thinking I should be using something that makes alot of noise and attracts the fish. Any ideas?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu May 05, 2011 8:13 pm

I'd use a chartruese or black spinner bait or buzz bait. Since finding the lure by sight is greatly diminished, you should add in vibration. A rattle trap wouldn't be a bad idea either.

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:50 pm

whats a chartruese? I know spinners and buzz..

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu May 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Black, chartruse and white are good muddy water colors. A chartuse spinnerbai w/gold blades is probably one of my best muddy water lures, colorado or indiana blades are probably better in muddy water than willow.. Rattles on your jigs and brass and glass weight combos will also help if you are using softplastics. Also baits with larger profiles are sometimes good. Stay away from translucent colors as the color will just blend in with the water. I like black back and chartruse body crankbaits too. The color contrast on the lure I think helps make it more vivible in poor vis water. I haven't tried this at wilson but I have had good luck at other lakes with muddy water with dark purple or black and blue zipper lizzards flipped/pitched into wood, can't imagine why it wouldn't work at wilson.

FishOnJohnson
bass level

Postby FishOnJohnson » Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 pm

KIA68 wrote:whats a chartruese? I know spinners and buzz..

Chartreuse is actually just a color...kind of just a mix between a green and yellow. Most lures are available in this color.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri May 06, 2011 8:40 am

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for the info. Ill try a few of these over the weekend.

woodz71
minnow level

Muddy water Techniques

Postby woodz71 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:16 am

Try fishing tight to any cover in the area. The muddy water reduces the fish's ability to see the bait and the fish has to rely on is feel for the vibration of the bait. The fish will move tighter to the cover because the cover will help the fish hone in on the vibrations coming from the bait. Also, like others have said, use baits that have rattles. Try black and blue combinations on jigs and soft plastics. I have been catching a few on green pumpkin Zoom Magnum Finess worms and green pumkin w/gold flake Deep Creek Stump Thumpers. I hope this will help you. Tight lines!

Return to “General Discussion”