Ho'omaluhia fishing

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Chaess
bass level

Ho'omaluhia fishing

Postby Chaess » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:15 am

Is it ok to use a spinning tackle or a tenkara rod at ho'omaluhia botanical garden?

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:16 am

Just make sure the pond Nazi Knute don't catch you back-casting. :roll:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 am

I'd try the Tenkara...
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:10 pm

ya he usually helps the kids in the front, just move all the way down to avoid him. thats what i do!! you can try casting for smallmouths this way. i dont think theres acually a rule saying no overhead casting.

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Unfortunately when I went there about 6 months ago with my son the lady at the center saw me walking down with my spinning rod and stopped me to tell me there was no cast in allowed, and proceeded to give me a sheet of paper with the rules, which included no casting. I asked what the reason was and she told me it was too dangerous since there were so many kids around.
What happened to personal judgement and responsibility?...

As mentioned most people congregate at the near end so if you go to the far end they might?? not bother with you.

I ended up not bothering as that guy Knute? was walking around monitoring the area, and didn't want to have create any trouble. On the upside my son had fun catching the general cichlids.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:01 pm

not trying to be mean at the old man but i think he's sort of a poser. he only fishes easy to catch red devils and tilapia. i dont think he ever goes to lake wilson. i also see him kiss the tilapia he catches just like how jimmy houston kisses the bass. when i was whipping a rapala, he said in a mean voice telling me he would send secruity over to get me. then when my dad came over to see what was going on, knud acted all nice and friendly about it. this was the FIRST warning he gave me but treated it like the tenth. but ya i understand he does good things for freshwater fishing in hawaii.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:16 pm

From all I've read on here about him, he seems like a stereotypical grumpy old b@$t@rd! No I won't sugar-coat it (much). :lol:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:02 am

Knute is well known at DLNR, the Legislature, and in City Government.
He is very active in fisherman's rights and seeing that people have a place to fish. He sits in on all the public meetings, board meetings, planning meetings, (whether he is invited or not.) :D He could care less what people think or who's feathers he ruffled.

Most government bureaucrats have found it a lot easier to give in to him than to poke slowly along with the status quo. When it comes to Hoomaluhia or Nuuanu catfish.... he grabs hold and won't let go. I've heard him described as a "real pain in the ass" by more than one city and state employee.

The reason there is fishing allowed at Hoomaluhia is because of Knute. When the lake was built, the city promised we could fish there. Then they came up with all the reasons why we could not fish there. Many of us believe there should be more family fishing opportunities than the Catfishing at Nuuanu 4 times a year.

For years we pushed the city. Finally, Knute showed up at some meeting with all the promises the city had made in writing and said if they didn't open Hoomaluhia to fishing a Lawsuit would be filed the next day.

And that, boys and girls, is how Hoomaluhia was opened to fishing...
(mostly geared to kids and family) It's a start. I guess it's time to start pestering the city to expand the fishing to more convent times and more locations (boats for instance)
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 am

Sounds like he's a good advocate for the fishing community. Maybe he could use a little polishing on the outside and some inter-personal communication classes,.... but I doubt that will work if he's an ole fut! :lol: (nothing wrong with being an ole fut there Stan). :lol:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 am

:D
Hay.... I represent that remark...
:D :D :D

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 pm

why did they close nuuanu? after all the hard work knute did to try and save it? didnt the government know that nuuanu was a family fishing tradition for all these years?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Budget cuts. Out fat gov't had to trim some fat.

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks for the insight on Knute. I applaud his tenacity for at least getting us some limited access. I will thank him next time I see him.

Perhaps something could be done to have a casting area. All it would take is to post a sign halfway down to designate and separate the areas. When I've been there I never saw any kids go more than halfway down the bank. Seems like there is plenty of room for all.

Gotta say the loss of cat fishing is a real shame. My dad took me and my brothers since the first time they opened back in 70s. And it was the first place I took my kids to introduce them to fishing and they really enjoyed it. :cry:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:09 am

The State also cut the Trout fishing on Kauai...
BUT...
The Kauai residents put up such a stink that they brought it back.
Trout Unlimited was also involved. The Trout hatchery is now back in business. TU is also working with Punahou School with their "Trout in the classroom" program. The kids are raising 500 rainbow trout for stocking.

To get something done in the legislature in Hawaii... you have to either make it financially worthwhile to the elected officials (read: they have to make money from it) Or you have to keep beating them over the head with your ideas till they get sick and tired of hearing you and do it.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 am

they better not stop stocking largemouth here. im just starting to learn bass techniques. plus i want bass fishing close to home. i dont want to have to travel. :D

Return to “General Discussion”