State back in the Trout Hatchery Business

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

State back in the Trout Hatchery Business

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks to efforts by the trout fishermen of Kauai (and around the state)
legislators, and Trout Unlimited..... the state has reopened the Hatchery on Sand Island. (lots of fishing licences seem to translate into votes):D

TU's "Trout in the Classroom" program at Punahou School received some of the eggs.

For those of you who didn't know there was a Trout Unlimited chapter here in Hawaii..... A quick reminder about the next TU meeting:

Next Meeting
6:30pm - 8:45pm
Wednesday, April 20th, 2011
Topic(s): Anuenue Hatchery
@ 1222 S. King Street
Honolulu, HI 96814

Trout Update
March 22nd:
Eyed eggs delivered to Punahou by DAR and begin hatching within two days.

April 1st:
The Punahou Rainbow Trout are in their "alevin" phase and are quickly consuming their yolk sac, which they've been feeding off of for about 10 ten days now. Right now, nature is telling them to bury themselves under the rocks, to find dark places, and to hide from predators. It's an amazing phase-- in between egg and fish. Soon, they'll be "swimming up," looking for food.

April 5th:
The trout are developing from the "alevin" to the "fry" stage. Four "swimmers" were seen this morning. They will be in nearly constant motion now for the rest of their lives.

May's meeting will be at Punahou and will be able to see how the trout are developing.

Cheers,
David
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Sounds like some good baitfish for the Tucs and Largemouth.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:36 pm

I concur with djverve05, should make great food for some real fish :)
It might seem silly but I actually lost all interest in catching rainbows when I first saw 4 or 5 bass that were at least 20+lbs chasing down 3 and 4 pound rainbows to eat. It was absolutely amazing! It was in a fairly secluded cove at Lake Casitas, I was probably 13 or 14 fishing from the bank...just thinking, WOW, there are probably 4 world record bass in casting distance and I was casting everything at em! But once they get that big at casitas they almost only seem to want to eat live rainbows, too bad it's illegal to use em for bait. I guess they don't get that big being stupid.

On another occassion I saw a HUGE bass chasing a big rainbow while my partner and I were pre-fishing a tournament..there were two really big wakes going through the water. The one infront was probably a 3 or 4 pound rainbow with a giant largemouth in chase. I think the rainbow was faster, but the bass wasn't far behind. It ended up good for the trout, the bass pushed it up against the shore and the trout came out of the water and beached itself, my partner and I were just watching in awe. We couldn't believe it! The big trout was flopping around on the bank for about a minute, scarred for it's life, just like the little tilapia do at wilson when the tucs are busting them against the bank, but on a much larger scale. Once the trout made it back in the water we didn't see anything else. I guess the bass didn't stick around and the trout got away.

We only caught a couple fish that day, I had one that was about 5lbs. We'd always play dollar first and dollar big fish....I thought I had them both it in the bag...then my buddy catches an 11 pounder on a little 4 inch worm on a split shot rig with 6lb line about 20 minutes before we were about to leave.

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:51 pm

I think it's great that the trout are back. Some of my best memories are of fishing the Kokee streams and reservoir as a kid. Trout are a perfect freshwater fish to get the keikis started on. If it can be caught and can put a smile on a kid's face, I'm OK with it.

Personally, fishing is fishing in my opinion. I'm an equal opportunity angler I suppose. :lol:
Crash

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:08 pm

What's the status of Catfish hatchery for Nu'uanu? My sons now 22 and 27 were raised fishing for catfish at Nu'uanu. Hopefully Mr. Abercrombie can reverse the misdeeds of Mr. Lingle.

ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:31 pm

I wouldn't count on anything from that little weasel, but hey, thats just me.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:35 am

roadwarriorsvt wrote:I wouldn't count on anything from that little weasel, but hey, thats just me.

I hope Mr. Aila the new DLNR head honcho listens to fellow fishermen, and Mr. Abercrombie listens to him.

Anyone here remember Abercrombie the Zombie? (you'll show your age) :lol:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:20 am

Never met him, but I've heard good reviews of Mr. Aila. Sounds like he's on our side.

Return to “General Discussion”