Broken Electric Trolling Motor

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Broken Electric Trolling Motor

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:05 am

My Minn Kota Terrova electric motor won't turn LEFT. I thought it might be the foot control , but the new one I just bought ($148) doesn't help. Must be something in the motor itself. Since it won't turn LEFT, the Auto Pilot doesn't work too.
It's kind of hard turning the head of the motor making it "manual" hand control. :(

Anyone in Hawaii work on electric trolling motors?

I'm thinking of buying the Min Kota Riptide ST Saltwater...
It's only $1,089.99. :roll:

The Minn Kota Terrova is only $959.99. I figure the extra money for making it more rust proof is probably worth it.

I know there are cheaper motors, but I really like the 18 foot cord so I can run the electric motor from the middle of the boat and have 2 people fishing, front and back. (And I now have 2 spare foot petals):D

The "foot" control can be used with the touch of your fingers... (I am not very good using my foot) I don't know how in the world people can fish and run the trolling motor with their foot at the same time. It's all I can do to fish and keep from falling out of the boat while standing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

LCPointer
master baiter level

Postby LCPointer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:42 am

Go to the Bass Boat Central forums (bbcboards.net). In the trolling motor section, the moderator is the owner of a authorized service center. John Jones is very helpful and can help you troubleshoot your problem as well as sell you the parts if you choose to do so. He has a very good reputation.

My guess is the controller board went out or there is a loose connection. I use the 80# Riptide ST with the iPilot wireless remote and it's great.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Re: Broken Electric Trolling Motor

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:45 am

Stan Wright wrote:The Minn Kota Terrova is only $959.99. I figure the extra money for making it more rust proof is probably worth it.

Wow! My question is, do you have a problem with rust right now? You can also check with West Marine. I know they sell Minn Kotas so they may have a lead on an authorized service center here locally.

Bozu
bass level

Postby Bozu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:24 am

It's an easy fix. You probably have a stripped pinion gear on the small
electric motor and/or the other gear that it turns. Both are made of plastic. The small electric motor (little bigger than a D battery) is what turns the whole motor left and right.Both are housed in the motor housing(rectangle shaped box) that the shaft runs through.

Unscrew the head. There's nothing in there except positive and negative leads. Just make note of which lead is hot and the ground wire. The tricky part is just getting that motor housing out from the frame that mounts to your boat's bow. It not hard. You just have to pry off a couple of washers
that hold a metal pin that runs through the motor housing. This is the pin
that the trolling motor pivots on when you drop it down and pick up.
You may have to use a wooden dowel or brass punch to knock it out.

Remove the housing and shaft. Slide the shaft out from the housing unit.
Do not try to remove the motor (propeller side) from the shaft. The shaft
is pressed fit into the trolling motor at the factory. Leave it alone.

Open the motor housing (4 screws underneath) and all you'll see is the
electric motor and a gear (1/2 dollar size). Replace both. I don't think
MinnKota sells the tiny pinion gear thats on the motor, you'll have to buy the whole unit. Both are white ABS plastic and the teeth on them just wear out or break off. The bigger gear turns the collar that sticks up
out of the top of the housing. The collar turns the shaft by turning the other locking collar on the shaft.

Call Minnkota for the parts. While your at it replace the rubber bushings
(small black rectangle thingys) that sit in the frame. These bushings
squeeze against the motor housing to provide support against the torque
of the motor. After years of use these bushings get squashed and the motor starts to "clack" because of the free play.

Take your time. Trolling motors are very simple devices. Use you phone's camera to record how and where the parts go if you are unsure.

Bozu

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:48 pm

I had a similar problem with my minnkota powerdrive. Except I couldn't turn any direction. I didn't know if it was the pedal or the actual motor for turning the unit. When I contacted minnkota they emailed me a troubleshooting guide and also the parts list. One thing I did was take the positive/negative leads from the steering motor and hook them directly up to my battery then reverse polarity and it changed directions...I think it just like a brushed RC Car motor (they should use a brushless motor and get some awesome steering that will last much longer!). I didn't actually have to get to the steering motor. Using the diagram minnkotta sent me I found where there were on the aft portion of the unit...they used two cheap little "Tamiya" plugs I just had to tweak them and get a goot conection. Bozu is probably right about the gear. In my case I just had a bad conection and once I fixed that the motor was fine. Hopefully you can return your pedal!

Return to “General Discussion”