master baiter level

Greetings from Afghanistan

Postby JChen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:21 am

Hello everyone!

Hows everyone hangin these days?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Amazing! The bass fishing has been great!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Hope your tour goes by quickly and safely. Mahalos for your service. 8)

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Are you doing any fishing this tour?

This is John when he has some free time.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 am

Man, I wish there was enough water near to fish haha. I'm in a bowl like mexico city. I wish I could at least practice my fly-cast.... work that loop, haha. How've you been Stan?

Hey anyone fish the Nu'uanu or the Waikele Streams this year? or even the Manoa?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 am

If they are fishing there, no one is talking about it. :lol:

Lots of people have been fishing for the little fish in the stream in Kaneohe.
I even heard that a high school did a field trip there to check water quality.

Saw what might have been a little SMB, but not sure. I was mostly after other things.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 pm

i fish the nuuanu streams all the time! the smallmouth are there and healthy still, but most of the smallmouths are near the hard to reach areas such as near the waterfall by the cemetery. places like near the judd trail have small ones only about 6 inches max. ive never tried waikele, i think i should though, how do you access it? ill give you a report when i go!

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:30 pm

What else can you catch in nuuanu ? We used to go get crawfish there, but I have never tried to fish the deeper pools. Any tips ? Thanks

Cheesefish
bass level

Postby Cheesefish » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm

So far I have caught Smallies in Nuuanu, Manoa, Kalihi and as of yesterday Maunawili... I want to try the stream in Mililani anyone ever tried there?

We saw a huge catfish in Nuuanu couldn't catch him though we didnt have any bait...

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:20 pm

where do you fish at manoa? the streams i saw on the manoa hiking trail looked to shallow and small, where do you fish at nuuanu? maybe we could set up a little smallmouth hunt

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:08 am

@ marcusn: PM me on the Waikele access. I only know of two ways. As far as the Manoa, there are MANY deep pools from the the grade school just off the H1 all the way up past UH and beyond. I only got up to the park past UH as there was construction and the water quality was poor, milky and pungent. I caught five-bars and little purple banded cichlids (jeweled i think they are called)

I've caught smallies in the Nu'uanu from the last piece of run-off to all the way WAY up past Judd trails (farthest I was able to go was the water fall that resides in those pretty anal rich home-owners "land".) I've caught a few channel cats, five-bars, tilapia, koi, and I've seen one tiger shovel-nose.

In the Waikele, by far the coldest of smallie streams I've wet waded on Oahu - cold enough to numb my legs, I've fished all the way from the Farrington (if my memory of road names hasnt eluded me) up to just under the H2. One of my favorite to fish but watch out for the homeless people that sleeps in one specific section of that stream. This stream holds plenty of potential, but also be aware of some sections with very heavy sediment and silt. Don't wade deeper than hip deep w/out a wading stick.

My Oahu Smallie PB came out of the stream that flows out of the Ho'omahlihia (I know i spelt that wrong) in Kaneohe. I know Stan remembers my frantic excited phone call for that picture op, haha. If you are looking to beat the state record or to push your PB, that stream holds the best potential along with that pond.

@ cheesefish: I've only caught one smallie out of the Manoa, how well do you do on that stream?

@ Pegasus: Tips? I got plenty!! PM me.

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 am

@ marcusn: PM me on the Waikele access. I only know of two ways. As far as the Manoa, there are MANY deep pools from the the grade school just off the H1 all the way up past UH and beyond. I only got up to the park past UH as there was construction and the water quality was poor, milky and pungent. I caught five-bars and little purple banded cichlids (jeweled i think they are called)

I've caught smallies in the Nu'uanu from the last piece of run-off to all the way WAY up past Judd trails (farthest I was able to go was the water fall that resides in those pretty anal rich home-owners "land".) I've caught a few channel cats, five-bars, tilapia, koi, and I've seen one tiger shovel-nose.

In the Waikele, by far the coldest of smallie streams I've wet waded on Oahu - cold enough to numb my legs, I've fished all the way from the Farrington (if my memory of road names hasnt eluded me) up to just under the H2. One of my favorite to fish but watch out for the homeless people that sleeps in one specific section of that stream. This stream holds plenty of potential, but also be aware of some sections with very heavy sediment and silt. Don't wade deeper than hip deep w/out a wading stick.

My Oahu Smallie PB came out of the stream that flows out of the Ho'omahlihia (I know i spelt that wrong) in Kaneohe. I know Stan remembers my frantic excited phone call for that picture op, haha. If you are looking to beat the state record or to push your PB, that stream holds the best potential along with that pond.

@ cheesefish: I've only caught one smallie out of the Manoa, how well do you do on that stream?

@ Pegasus: Tips? I got plenty!! PM me.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:29 am

John and Smallmouth Bass from a Hawaii stream.

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Sun May 08, 2011 6:47 am

Oi, the fish itch sucks! Urge to be on the water, slaying some 'gills!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun May 08, 2011 7:12 am

Gathering together your goodies for care package... should be ready for mailing soon. :D

Return to “General Discussion”