Best Lures for catching Tucs

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

wahiawabasshunter
bass level

Best Lures for catching Tucs

Postby wahiawabasshunter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:49 am

I've been fishing the lake for a year now and want to start using lures instead of live bait. I have been buying all kinds of lures. I have poppers, cranks, swimbaits and a couple other ones. I know that the lure depends on the conditions but is there anyone in particular that will get them everytime. Not patient enough to try fly fishing so please dont recomend that. Thanks
basshunter ;)

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:18 am

Old standards:
Blakemore Road Runner jigs 1/16 and 1/8 oz
#5 Rapala Minnow and Shad Rap.
For tucs, fish lures fast and avoid dark colors. Opposite of black bass.
Hopefully the real experts here will chime in with more suggestions.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

tucs love fast moving baits,im sure after a year you know there is no guarenteed lure or live bait. however my personal choice for tucs would be a small prop bait worked fast for surface busts or any time they are active along bank. and for later in the day probobly a crankbait, shad color. increase the size of the lure to ward of red devils cause they will be constantly after that crank!may even get a bass.............but thems a whole nuther ball game.

fisher dude
King Sushi level

lures

Postby fisher dude » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:35 pm

been using small sinking minnow rapalas been catching my tucs deep i usually just stick with shad colors matcfhing bait fish seem to work but i also catch on firetiger and never seen a fish with those colors.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:13 am

It was suggested to me the white Shad Bass Assasin or a 2" white Senko and move them fast.

typical8o8
angler level

Postby typical8o8 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:53 pm

dark colors do work for tucs although white, shiny silver, or shiny gold are the usual go-to colors. black and brown do hold their own.

i like Roadrunners, Cordell Ratt'l Spot Minnows, and jerkbaits (ala pin's minnows). steady stop & go retrieve for these lures to make it look like the lure is bursting forward, resting for a split second, bursting forward again, and repeat. they will hit while the lure is "resting" or bursting forward so the strikes are often a surprise.

BillFHM3C
bass level

Postby BillFHM3C » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 am

I've found that color, or size, really doesn't matter. The lure just needs to be pulled through the water in a rapid, steady motion. I've pulled in a few nice size Tucs on top poppers of various colors, spoons of various sizes & shapes, Yonimura Minnows of varying sizes, and Rapala minnows, both surface & sinking work great! I don't know what it is about Rapala, but the action when pulled through the water rapidly drives the Tucs crazy! And when you see them coming up to take it...DON"T STOP PULLING! If you stop or slow down they'll break off the attack and dive. But, usually, if you toss it back or go for another try they usually go after it again.

I've had good luck with the white rubber worms that I got from Stan too. They're cheaper than lures, so if you do lose one it's not so bad. I believe he has a picture on this web site of the different baits & lures he's used to get the Tucs & LMBs to bite. Good luck & Have fun!!
The Worst Day Fishing beats the Best Day Working HANDS DOWN!!!

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:48 pm

1/16 oz chartreuse Road Runna' w/ plastic curly tail. Fished fast on ultralight tackle w/ 4lb test.
Crash

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:08 pm

white wooly buggers!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Nothing like digging up a 2 yr. old thread! :lol: Thats OK, this inf owill help someone new.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:28 pm

part of the reason why i revived it, also i want to hear all the best lures!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Look no further that right here: http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/default.asp?nc=394&id=38 . Sure everyone has their own special lures, but to get started, you can't beat this collection. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”