How Many Species Of Fish In Our Lake?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Guys,
The fisheries marine biologist contacted me today regarding the possible under-sizing of our bass. He is requesting various information about the lake. Most of it I can get, but I'd like input from you regarding the species of fish in our lake. Is there a species that I have left out or mislabeled? If so, let me know. These are the ones I know off the top of my head. Am I forgetting a species? Thanks.

1) largemeouth bass
2) smallmouth bass
3) peacock bass
4) bluegiull
5) oscar
6) red devil/Midas Cichlid
7) channel catfish
8 asian catfish
9) shad
10) five star general
11) needle fish
12) pungee/snakehead
13) paca
14) minnow
15) banded jewel ciclid
16) sucker fish/armoured catfish
17) koi
18 Jaguar cichlid
19) tilapia (thanks Shanai)
20) ?
Last edited by roadwarriorsvt on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

shanai
King Sushi level

how many species of fish

Postby shanai » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 pm

tilapia

are you also counting other creatures in the lake ( i.e. turtles, crayfish )

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Re: how many species of fish

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:15 pm

shanai wrote:tilapia

are you also counting other creatures in the lake ( i.e. turtles, crayfish )

:oops: How could I forget this abundant (but worthless) fish? Thanks. Mainly just concentrating on the fish. I told him we have very limited amounts of crayfish.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 am

I know you are probably only counting the ones that have established populations, but I just wanted to mention a few that I have seen or have seen pictures of, just for fun and discussion:
1. Arowana: Saw a huge one by the Whitmore outfall. I saw a comparable one in a store selling for $1000!!
2. Round goldfish the size of a softball! Hilarious to see this thing wobbling around in the water. Looked healthy though.
3. Piranha: My friend from high school caught one and I also remember seeing a picture posted at the old Wahiawa Sporting Goods. These were real Red Piranhas, not Pacus!
4. Snapping Turtle: I even saw a baby one in the cove next to the boat ramp.
5. Samoan Crab: Same place as the snapping turtle.
6. Prawn: Saw many in the upper North Fork during my childhood.
7. Blue Gourami: Saw some near the dam when I was just a kid.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 am

Ive caught a few convict cichlids.

I'm not a cichlid expert but I think the banded jewel cichlids are the same as the five star general..I thought the generals were just the big adults. I could very well be wrong.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:18 am

Skunked, yea, just looking for fish that have populations that might impact the LMB/PB, but seeing all those different fish you've seen in the lake is cool! 8)

CA, I'm in the same boat (oh the PUN) regarding the different ciclids, etc. The same fish may have different names. Some experts will chime in soon I'm sure.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:59 am

Jaguar Cichlid (Parachromis managuensis) aka Jaguar Guapote

ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:05 am

I have also heard of Tiger Shovelnose Catfish (Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum) being caught in the lake.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 am

Also the Midas Cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus) a close relative of the Red Devil (Amphilophus labiatus) and known to hybridize with them.

Midas Cichlid

Red Devil

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 am

Ji,
Thanks for the scientific name of the red devil. The biologist is interested in the large amounts of fish that compete with the LMB/PB for the forage. I'm guessing the red devils/midas cichlids would have the greatest impact on the food chain.

shanai
King Sushi level

How many species of fish in our lake

Postby shanai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:01 pm

If you're looking at species that may compete for food with the LMB/Tucunare shouldn't the red neck sliders turtles be included or would their impact be considered negligible. I have two sliders in my small pond at home and they eat everything - I once had three large oscars in my pond, eaten, small channel cats, eaten. Maybe my pond is too small but these sliders are voracious eaters.

I'm also curious about the millions ( literally ) of picasimus - armored catfish in the lake and what they eat - they have just proliferated and what impact if any on other species.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:32 pm

I'll include the red eared sliders. The biologist can determine who much of an impact they make on the LMB forage.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 pm

I bet the plecos might eat some eggs of nesting fish. The ones I had in my fish tank just ate algae.

I actually like the jaguar cichlids, I think they are a cool fish..I have only caught one, but I saw two nesting. They remind me a lot of crappie.

Shanai,

When we went out a few weekends ago to catch catfish, was the big one I caught a channel cat? It didn't look like a channel cat to me more like a blue cat.

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Came across this weblink that identifies 68 freshwater species of fish in Hawaii - this might be a place to start and I would guess that there's probably almost all of these fishes found in Lake Wilson and probably more that are not on this list.

http://fish.mongabay.com/data/Hawaii.htm

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Thats a pretty comprehensive list! I think the intent of the biologist knowing what all species of fish in the lake is to determine who the LMB/PB are competing with for food, which I'll guess is mainly the talapia and red devils. Interesting to see all the different fish though!

Return to “General Discussion”