Spawning Tucs and low water

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Crash
King Sushi level

Spawning Tucs and low water

Postby Crash » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:27 pm

I have a few questions that I would love to hear opinions on...because I just dont know.

How low can the lake level get with the dam valve broken? Can it empty almost completely, leaving only pockets of standing water?

If the lake can hold enough water to stay at pool above the broken valve, what do you think it will do to the Tuc Spawn? Could it actually help the spawn if the water level drops to it's lowest point before spawning takes place?

Just wondering. Mahalos.
Crash

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:23 am

I'm no scientist but i would think if the water got to low it would become stagant and oxygen levels would be low for spawning..and probably get too hot.

I have no clue how deep it would be once its under the valves level, I hope it would be at least 10ft. That would probably be ok for most fish I would think

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:53 am

30 or 40 years ago the sugar and pineapple use to use water for irrigation and draw the water down a lot. It really played havoc on the spawning largemouth. I've seen the area there at the ramp completely dry... only a little trickle running right down the middle. I guess it's almost time to start calling the TV stations and begin asking why the water is going down, down, down. Makes for nice video.
:wink:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 am

Good points by both of you and I totally remember the fluctuations of water level. That hasnt changed, and doubt it ever will.

I dont remember any issues with the dam back in the 90s. Then again, there was no forum to discuss this stuff.

Did anyone launch this weekend?
Crash

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:15 am

Crash wrote:Did anyone launch this weekend?

It may be "possible" to launch, especially if you have 4WD, but I think I'll go to my favorite bank instead.

If anyone does decide to take their boat out, look out for those submerged bolders! :evil:

Return to “General Discussion”