Catch and Release???

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

vbct4c
bait level

Catch and Release???

Postby vbct4c » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Hey, is it catch and release at Wilson? Is there anywhere on Oahu that I can actually catch a bass, bring it home and fry it up for dinner?

Joel
bass level

Postby Joel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:07 pm

not that I am aware of...I don't know if I would want to anyway lol

vbct4c
bait level

Postby vbct4c » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:30 pm

why, is the water contaminated or something?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Oh, it's not that bad.... the guys at the Sewage Plant assure me the water they dump into the lake every day is cleaner than the water that's already in the lake.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

On the serious side. All Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Peacock Bass must be released back into Lake Wilson.

If you eat the catfish... eat only the fillets. DO NOT EAT the Head or Guts!!!
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm

I've eaten the catfish out of the north fork and there is nothing wrong with me...I've eaten the catfish out of the north fork and there is nothing wrong with me...I've eaten the catfish out of the north fork and there is nothing wrong with me...I've eaten the catfish out of the north fork and there is nothing wrong with me...I've eaten the catfish out of the north fork and there is nothing wrong with me...I've eaten the catfish out of the north fork and there is nothing wrong with me...

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:34 pm

its not the sewage id be worried about!! all you gotta do is look around the lake and see whats dumped in it!!not to mention all the runoff out of wahiawa!! thats why roadwarrior wont fish so early, he cant figure out where that weird greenglow around his boat is commin from hahahaha

vbct4c
bait level

Postby vbct4c » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:23 am

thanks guys!!! and thanks for the laughs!!

Cool, i never knew there was catfish there. So what do you use for the catfish? worms? do they bite lures?

So is it only bass and tucs that must be released? what other fish are there in wilson?

Also, i dont have a boat, on foot what would be the best place and how to get there?

yea, grew up on Kauai, fishing with my dad when I was younger. havent fished for a long time and not sure what the requirements are now. But here on Oahu seems like more restrictions. just wanted to be sure before i venture out.

thanks!!!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 am

This was on the state web site...

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_ar ... ml#wahiawa

Just stop by any fishing store that sells fishing licences and pick up a copy of the Regulations. It's free.

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 am

I knew a guy used to eat the catfish he would keep them alive in a plastic storage bin with a aerator and change the water every day till the water is clean and the fish turns white to light gray! The first days water is nasty. He said it makes a big difference!

vbct4c
bait level

Postby vbct4c » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks!!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:32 am

After obtaining a fishing license and Wahiawa Freshwater Park permit, check out the regulations. Things like having a flotation device while fishing from the bank is also required. There are about 17 +/- different species of fish in the lake. If you want to go for catfish, get some chicken livers from Foodland and a cheap bait knife. Cut off a 1" chunk on a #6 hook +/-. Anywhere around either bridge, where the runoff drains into the lake is good for catfish. Put a 1/2 oz. or larger egg sinker above the swivel, with a 1' or longer leader and you're good to go.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I remember in Texas, all the pools and creeks were muddy. Every farm had a water trough for the cattle... it was like a big bath tub. Whenever we caught catfish they would be kept in the water trough till they could get the muddy taste flushed out. When ever someone caught a rather large catfish, everyone would drop by to see it.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Never ate the Tilapia from Lake Wilson but ate plenty from Nu'uanu Reservoir, and they were tasty. I know a few people who love eating Red Devils. Plenty of both so knock yourself out. The Pongee aka Snakehead are probably the best eating fish in there but nowadays they are few and far between. If I caught one I'd let it go now just to keep them reproducing.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Stan I know there has been some discussion on a slot limit for pb on the board.
Any thoughts, maybe a two fish daily limit for 12-16" fish. I don't know much about these things but it seems like permanent catch and release isn't ideal for the population.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:52 pm

The state health department is doing testing on the fish, even as we speak.
Before they say it's OK to keep a fish to eat, they want to make sure it is safe to eat it. There was some sampling done years ago and there were large quantities of PCB and DDT found. That's why more testing is being done now. Water and fish.

Return to “General Discussion”