Interesting read about Nitro hull failure

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Interesting read about Nitro hull failure

Postby skunked » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:59 am

From the Texas Fishing Forum. Poor guy getting the shaft from Nitro/Tracker.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... /5832393/1
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Joel
bass level

Postby Joel » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Would not be the first 2008 to do it. I've seen others, seems as they changed certain things going into 2009 to prevent the issue. Most of the ones I've heard about weren't nearlly this bad..bubbled gel, cracks etc. Hope Nitro Steps up..

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:15 pm

That sucks!!

Almost bought a Nitro a few years ago (price was right). Looked over the boat a couple times and just couldn't find myself closing the deal. Glad I didn't.

I am not surprised that some of the big name sponsored fisherman for BPS, not standing up and supporting the fisherman. Money talks and bull crap just sinks to the bottom of the lake..... :evil:

Just my .02 cents.

Mel Kahuna bass
Still wihout a bass boat :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm

A nitro z-9 was at the top of my list for when I get to georgia. My first choice would have been a champion but they went bankrupt again and were bought by the company that owns ranger..who also bought stratos and triton..they kept the stratos and triton names but stratos took 3 of the champion hulls and call them stratos champion elite. It seemed like the guy on the forum was the 3rd owner and nitro only will warranty to the 2nd even if it was 2011. So I guess if he got it new or was the 2nd owner he would have been alright. I'm still leaning towards the z-9 the rewards for tounaments are pretty sweet and it's packed full of features. A similar ranger, triton, bass cat, stratos champion elite would cost around 55k to 65k. The z-9 with a 250 merc is about 45k. But I'm a little worried is the price too good to be true? Is it like a sharkespear or ugly stick rod..inferior quality? But they do have a cool program running, If you finish 1st out of a tournamnet with like 60 boats they give you $7000 and they payout less as the fields become smaller. And from what I looked at they do this for manny different tournament clubs. Don't know all the details yet but it seems like you just have to wear a nitro shirt and hat..obey all the laws and have a nitro sticker on you truck to qualify for their payouts. Id do all that for a bunch of extra money I'm gonna be fishing these tournaments anyway. Might as well do it from a nitro and hopefully reap the rewards. Can't wait to get back to the mainland and do some serious tournament angling though. Though I will miss lake wilson dearly. Its a fun lake and would be even better if the people respected it and didn't treat it like a dump. Once you are get out around BSI it is actually very pretty.

Pretty excited about the bassmaster clasic!! I've been watching those since I was a little kid..it's still my dream to fish in one :D just have 12 more years until I can retire from the navy get my monthly checks and try to make it as a pro! I'd settle for a well paid guide too LOL.

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm

My buddy just bought his first bass boat in LA after fishing with me here at Wilson (and one day with chris). it's a 17' 01 nitro, with a 115 merc 4 stroke. Anyone know if hulls from that time were okay?

Joel
bass level

Postby Joel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:10 pm

fish4fun wrote:My buddy just bought his first bass boat in LA after fishing with me here at Wilson (and one day with chris). it's a 17' 01 nitro, with a 115 merc 4 stroke. Anyone know if hulls from that time were okay?

I had a ProCraft 176 with a 115hp on it...it was an 05 and I never had any issues with Tracker Marine or the hull itself. That said this isn't the first case like this I've heard of.....if I was buying a boat for here I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Tracker Aluminum. If I was buying a boat for the mainland...It would be a Phoenix hands down.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Greetings all,

For the type of money it cost to own a bass boat, it should be just like a car.

With all the issues with motor vehical manufactures, if there is a slight trend of any issues, there's some kind of recall. Safety first, besides, law suits equals big bucks.

Boat manufactures (Hull and engines) should have similar recalls. It appears there has been a history of hull problems with Triton. Lucky, he wasn't doing 70+...............total disaster.

I've been behind the steering wheel on bass boat doing 50+ and you always wonder, just what if........

Nice thing about Lake Wilson, it's all "no wake" zone!!

Mel - Kahuna bass
Missing my old boat :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Yeah bass boats are crazy fast. My old tournament partner in california had a 18' champion with a 200hp merc I think it would do 60+ easy. Kinda scary sometimes..really scary when you get drawn in the middle of the pack and the 30 boats that went before you made a real mess of the water. Once the boat seemed like it got to a 45 degree angle the side I was on was closest to the water and I was holding on for dear life. If I'm behind the wheel its more fun than scary..I guess It's a control thing, I prefer to be in control of over powered machinery when my life is at risk :D

Are phoenix bass boats a sister company of another brand. I did a quick google and it looks like they got their roots from stratos. More curious if they were modeled from another company. Like I believe champions came from a ranger hull, and legend, hawk and another one I can't think of right now came from champion. Seems like most of the companies rip off ideas from other and try to make them better. Or the builders move on and start new companies/projects.

Joel
bass level

Postby Joel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Ca_Bass wrote:Are phoenix bass boats a sister company of another brand. I did a quick google and it looks like they got their roots from stratos. More curious if they were modeled from another company. Like I believe champions came from a ranger hull, and legend, hawk and another one I can't think of right now came from champion. Seems like most of the companies rip off ideas from other and try to make them better. Or the builders move on and start new companies/projects.

Gary Clouse was one of the founders. They are somewhat modeled after a stratos, but the hull design has some serious mods that make it unique. I have gotten to ride in one..it is the dryest boat I've ever been in at 70mph. The designers came from other companies and made a boat "by fisherman for fisherman." There is a wealth of info on their site, including videos about the hull designs etc. Quality was a key thing, from teh resins, to the screws its all top notch.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:46 pm

They look kinda like a skeeter. There are so many options out there..it's worse than buying a new car..at least with cars there are more reviews since just about everyone drives a car. I'd be a little nervous of buying a phoenix just because it it fairly new company. They very well might have one of the best products. But with the way bass boat companies seem to come and go and ownership is here then there. I remember back...what in maybe the early to late 90's or early 2000's hawk was one one of the top of line companies..but where are they now? And then cobra..viper. I definatley don't want to buy a 45,000 rig then have the company go under before I even have it paid off. Think I might go for a top of the ranger that is a few years old or a new nitro..wonder if ranger comes with the incentives for fishing tournaments with their boats. So many choices and it seems hard to get an unbiased opinion...even I'm biased toward champion fished outta 3 different models loved them all. Champions are what I've fished from the most..not counting my tracker. I guess the closest I could get to a champ now is a legend or a stratos elite....I dunno. I can be so impulsive with other buys but this one is tough..I need my impulsiveness to kick and make the choice for me. :D heck I'm still 3 to 4 months away from buying a new boat. Once I get to some dealerships it should help me decide. I think nitro might actually let you test drive the boat you wanna buy. That would be nice.

Return to “General Discussion”