oio fishing lures, suggestions please

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

edde978n
bass level

oio fishing lures, suggestions please

Postby edde978n » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 am

Hey guys, wondering if anyone who has caught some Oio with lures could reccommend some for me. I am currently stateside and will be returning to Hawaii in a few weeks, I wanted to pick up some lures while here to use down at Hickam flats when I return. Anyy suggestions? thanks

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:54 am

We mostly go for oio (bonefish) with fly rod and flys. These are some of the Crazy Charlie flys I've used. Note the big lead eyes. Bonefish feed on crabs and shrimp and stuff on the bottom. So we use heavy flys to get down into the sand and then hop it along. You can get flys at Nervous Water Fly Shop.

I've heard of spinning rod guys using small jigs on the bottom. Like the Foxee Jig By Blue Fox. I think the weight was 1/4 to 5/8 ounce. They stand up on the head and wave the bushy part up in the air... looks like a crab or crawdad or something. I think I got the jigs from Charlie's Fishing Supply.

What ever you use, remember that bonefish are bottom feeders. If your using spinning tackle, just a piece of shrimp or ika on a single hook, (no weight), works. You might also sweeten your jig with a little piece of shrimp or ika too.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:37 pm

I use to fly fish at Hickam flats a lot and orange wooly bugger flies worked really well. If you don't fly fish maybe you could bubble rig them. Or probably tying them to like a 1/8 oz jig head would be better(less splash). Those marabou crappie jigs I guess would be the same thing. For the flies I would tie a few different weights. Some with just bead chain eyes, some bead chain with a small lead wire tied under the body and some with the heavier lead eyes. I would start with the lighter flies and as I waded out further I would go heavier. The main thing I would try to achieve is having my fly just ticking across the rocks and grass without getting hung up to often. If I started to get hung up too much I switched to a lighter fly. But if I wasn't feeling the bottom at all I didn't get many bites. Don't need to work it very fast. If you plan to fly fish a 8wt is ok and a 9wt is better. The wind picks up pretty good around 10am or so. When I waded out there I would see A LOT of mantis shrimp most were a orange to red color..some a light shade of brown. The orange ones seemed to have pronounced white bands Hope this helps. Oh one more tip.......go about 1 hour before low tide, then by the time you get out to the edge of the reef(where most of the action is) it will be at it's lowest point. I'm only 5'5" so I would bring a milk crate with a rope tied around it and carry it over my shoulder. If I got into water that was too deep I would stand up on it so I could cast better and not be up to my chest in water.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:29 pm

There are guys in Kaneohe who bring a step ladder... or even a 6 foot folding ladder and sit on top of that and cast.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Anything that looks like an Opae or shrimp. :wink:
http://www.ulua-fishing.com/hff/viewtop ... =14&t=9930
ImageImage
Last edited by Ahnkochee on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Those are pretty!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:32 am

Very nice... Ahnkochee,
Where did you "buy" them?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kidding. beautiful work. I bet the Red devils would like those too.

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:01 am

I used to dunk for oio in Kaneohe walk out past casting distance then throw in sand pockets it's about 3-6 deep at high tide. Do you folks actually see the oio then cast or just blind cast. Are you fly fishing at low tide probably easier to see I usually only fish when the tides are changing. Never seen any but caught a bunch maybe just to short to get the right angle.

esterleny
bait level

Postby esterleny » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:48 am

Amazing
<a href="http://www.w3schools.com/">Visit W3Schools</a>

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:24 pm

When I would first start the day(in the shallows) I would sight fish to start then as I went further out blind cast to areas that look good. I did much better blind casting the edge of the reef.

edde978n
bass level

Postby edde978n » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Right on guys, thank you for the info. When I get back from the states I will only have about 6 months left in Hawaii :( , so hopefully I can get a couple before I leave.
Another question... if using shrimp or ika do you just cast it out and let it sit till you get a bite, or do you actually work the bait like a jig?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:02 pm

I've caught quite a few just letting the shrimp sit on the bottom.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:06 pm

WOW! :shock: Great looking flies! Respect! :D
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Return to “General Discussion”