DLNR-DAR needs help

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

HFFA-TC
bass level

DLNR-DAR needs help

Postby HFFA-TC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:07 pm

The DLNR-DAR has asked the club for help in collecting specimens. This time they need some catfish from three different areas. Basically, the Basin around Kemoo Island is one area and the other two are the North Fork and the South Fork.

They are asking for nine fish from each area for a total of 27 catfish. Anything in the 1-2 pound range is what they are looking for. Anything bigger would be okay too.

We have set aside February 12th and 13th, if needed, to collect the specimens. Any catfish caught before that can be frozen and collected on that date.

They are also looking to collect twenty koi. There is a bounty of $5 for each koi caught up to the twenty limit. The koi can be caught in any area but they must be fresh-caught on the day of pickup.

And one final request-they need to collect the fins of fifty tilapia. They only need a fin clip of about the size of a hole punch.

We will be fishing from 7am to 3pm on Saturday and do it again on Sunday if we don't catch enough fish. If any of you can help, please let me know by posting or sending me a message care of this board. If you don't know now if you will be available, just show up at 7am. We need to asign areas so that everyone is not fishing in the same place. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
See you on the Lake

MIKE

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Quick question the catfish not a problem but koi? I see them around but never hooked any is there a trick or they want them netted? Do they want them alive? I could spear um lol! But nets and any other way is illegal or we got a outlaw pass on the lake for a weekend!

HFFA-TC
bass level

Postby HFFA-TC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm

We do not have an outlaw pass for the day. I tried to get one for the catfish but was denied for now. A long time ago, we could catch koi with some corn which is an illegal bait as the fish cannot digest it and will die when the corn gets stuck in the intestines. But as we will be taking the fish out of the water, what the hey! (I will deny writting this if asked!!!)

If anyone knows the guys in the Korean fishing club, they know how to catch the koi. From what I understand, they were making doughballs with koi food with some secret ingredients.

I will be trying with some doughballs and maybe chumming with some koi food. The koi have to be fresh and the guy who wants them may be on the lake with us to process them.
See you on the Lake

MIKE

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm

ok thanx for info!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 am

When I was in middle school I used to make carp bait with cornflakes and stawberry soda...I would smash it all up and it would turn to a good texture for rolling into balls. I would also use white bread rolled into balls. I bet pizza/bread dough would be better for casting. I used to see a lot of carp down towards the south fork in the coves.

Just google carp bait and you should find some recipies.

http://www.carpflavorings.com/

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 am

do they want koi or carp? i know you can catch carp. but the actual red or colored koi never seen anyone catch one.
Last edited by fisher dude on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

shanai
King Sushi level

DLNR-DAR needs help

Postby shanai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 am

I think koi and carp are being referred as the same type of fish
" It's not the size of the fish in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the fish "

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:47 pm

When they say "KOI" I think they mean any common carp not just the domestic Japanese variety though I have seen both in there.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:54 pm

I think it's going to be a lot harder to catch the carp than you think....

Big Red Soda works better than strawberry soda. It's a Texas thing.
:lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 am

I've caught alot of carp on chicken livers way up the north fork, if you care to try and catch a carp.... :?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:16 am

I bet I could catch a bunch with my compound bow. I lost two rods to carp when I was younger I had them laying on the shore and the next thing I know they are shooting off into the water never to be seen again :(

HFFA-TC
bass level

Postby HFFA-TC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey Guys,

Just a reminder that we still need help this weekend to help DAR sampling.

Just talked to Annette and their staff went out and caught all the tilapia they needed. They still need 20 koi and three catfish from the south fork and seven from the north fork. They caught all they need from the basin area.

All help will be greatly appreciated and if enough people come out we might be able to catch everything on Saturday. Thanks in advance.
See you on the Lake

MIKE

Return to “General Discussion”