New record Small Mouth???

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

New record Small Mouth???

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:16 am

Has anyone heard anything about someone catching a new state record smallmouth bass? In the 6 pound range?
Hawaii Fishing News lists the curent record at 4.4.

I spoke with Knute and he caught a 5 something pounder in Hoomaluhia... and says he has seen larger ones.

Aoha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:51 am

Where is Hoomaluhia?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden is in Kaneohe. Knute usually has a story about it in each months Hawaii Fishing News. It's a flood control lake... built after a big flood in the 60s..... At the public hearings they said if we approved the lake they would stock it with fish and we could go fishing any time. OK
HBG is run as a botanical garden and they don't think the entire area should be visited except by guided tours... The less people the better.

We threatened a lawsuit so they opened the fishing up to pole and line... along the dam... weekends from 10 to 3..... It's nice for the kids, but it's about a 1/2 mile walk from the parking area to the dam.

They want to get rid of the smallmouth bass... (bass eat the little fishes the kids catch with their oama poles).... but they won't let anyone come in and fish them out. HFFA volunteered to catch them and transplant them to the lake or hatchery... NO GO.

They really don't want any one fishing in the lake because of the Leptospirosis. (mongoose pee in the water) When I told them I didn't want to swim or keep the fish they couldn't understand why anyone would want to not keep the fish and eat them....

I've offered to pay $200 a day to fish there.... (they are hurting for money and always looking for donations... but I guess not that hard up for money.)

Guess it's about time to call in the lawyers again....

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:09 pm

I Might have to check that out when I get back on Island in June, smallmouth fishing is a lot of fun. I've only caught one at Wilson but I've heard stories of people hiking the streams/rivers that feed the lake and catching upwards of 30 smallmouth within a few hours. But I don't know how exactly they get to where the smallmouth are or even exactly where they go. All I know is the stream that feeds the north fork.

Stan,

I was curious about the DLNRs findings on the Tucs that were collected a few months back or even if the results were back.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Linda is on vacation at the moment. They have started the testing, but I don't think any of the results are back. I'll ask as soon as she gets back.
Stan

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Hey Ca_Bass, have you ever tried to search for streams on Google Earth? I've found a few but gaining access to them might be a different story.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Stan do you know what they caught the smallie on?
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Fishing Frenzy,

I have tried to seach on google earth. I think I might have found a road but I dunno what kind of road it is..dirt paved or what. I looks like there might be a couple of places by NCTAMS base to get in there. I've thought about taking my boat up to the end of the north fork and hiking but I think that would be better thing to try with a kayak.

If anyone has some info on this I would love it and I promise to keep my lips sealed if you so wish!!!!!!!! :D

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:18 pm

I had a friend who had done some exploring up there and was supposed to take me, but he got deployed to Iraq before we could go. I guess he has hiked up there and camped for a few days..not sure if that was necessary or he just wanted to do it.

gabe
bait level

Postby gabe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:23 pm

oh wow. I fishing allowed over there. thats awesome. I grew up just down the street from the gardens and would sneek over with my bamboo pole and bread for catch tilapia all the time. can't count how many times I broke my poles because I would hook koi by accident. I going have to try fish there when I come back home.

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:16 pm

kind of a old post but i just thought id point out i caught a 4 pound smallmouth at ho'omaluhia. i caught it on a rainbow rapala but get this, as i finally landed the bass that old guy knud or something comes walking over. he then spots the rapala in the bass's mouth and then began to scold me on how you cannot use lures or "spincast". i mean, im all in for following the rules but then moments later i see knud using lures and casting like there was no tommorrow. funny thing is he didnt catch a ding dong thing! :roll:

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:31 pm

had a friend go on his sons field trip there few years ago and they were all fishing with bamboo poles, he had a rod in his car and figured why not. threw out a rebel popper and on his second cast got a 3lb plus smallie. didnt even know they were in there! and of course he was told that kinda fishing wasnt allowed soon thereafter. never got to retry

fisher dude
King Sushi level

small mouth streams

Postby fisher dude » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:44 pm

we used to go at the top of wahiawa by the water tower park there and follow the trail leading straight down the long steep hill get to the bottom then climb a hill with a rope then head left then your at the stream usually better keep going north and fish a pond then keep going up. best bait was earth worms or medakas no big ones half to 1 lb wild smallmouths usually aggressive. fly rod would be fun but by the time you get down to the stream it would be in 3 pieces.
trail is steep: lots of mosquitos, watch for flash floods best to go during summer months,mark your trail in if you walk miles upstream when you come down it all looks the same could get lost easy up there.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Here's a few decent Ho'omaluhia Smallies...

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:22 am

ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:27 am

i think im gonna try there today!

Return to “General Discussion”