Hello!

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

grl0218
angler level

Hello!

Postby grl0218 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 pm

My family and I just started fishing at Lake Wilson a few days ago. Much different then Minnesota fishing. We have been trying all types of lures from the shoreline but with no luck. From small earthworms we find in the ground near the lake to small plastic grubs from Wal-Mart. By the way I cant find a good freshwater fishing supply store around. Any suggestions. I even tried the plastic worm "Texas style" but was unsure if I had it rigged right as it sank. no floating worms in Hawaii.. any help would be appreciated.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm

This lake is very different from the mainland lakes, but surfing this site is the best thing you can do. This lake is famous for its peacock bass, which are actually ciclids that are nothing like a LMB. Peacocks don't eat worms either, only the LMB. Look at the Lures & Flyes page. That is a good start. Also, the winter monts aren't typically as good as the summer months. Peacocks like the warmer water. Just check out all the older threads. This is where you learn about fishing Lake Wilson. Good luck.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:45 pm

welcome to hawaii freshwater fishing!! hahaha yep its tuff but try small feeder fish or bring a net and catch some at the ramp. them freeline em out in front of the boat ramp, thats big tucanare "aka peacock bass" or "tuc" central right there and be ready cause they are like smallmouth bass on crack when they get on your line! if your into lures same stuff works here, rapalas are great in shad colors and all sizes and soft plastics will catch around downed trees and grasslines.its a matter of persistence. as for tackle well your better off ordering from cabelas or basspro (cabelas ships faster and cheaper) there is limited stuff at sports authority and walmart/target/kmart. wish you guys luck!

grl0218
angler level

Postby grl0218 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:47 am

Well out here this morning. Nothing so far. Picked up those rapalas. Pretty neat. Also a kastmaster. Just staying around the boat ramp for now.

grl0218
angler level

Postby grl0218 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am

Well just lost my kastmaster to a underwater log or grass. Pretty upset. Only had it for a hour or so. Still no bites. :(

grl0218
angler level

Postby grl0218 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 am

well thats enough for. fish not really biting i guess. or maybe to cold. maybe tomorrow will be better.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 am

Castmasters are really effective when the Tucs are busting on the shad on top water. The Tucs aren't very active until the water gets into the mid 70s. LMB like the cool water just like mainland.

nuki
angler level

Secret spots

Postby nuki » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:41 pm

:wink:
I was in same situation as you are when I started fishiing at lake Wilson.

You need to get a boat in order to get an access to those secret spots where you can catch some fish.

Top water lures such as Sammy 100, Zara Spook work well during summer. Plastic worms and spinnerbaits are working well these days.

I am still exploring the lake to find those secret spots as well.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Re: Secret spots

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:54 pm

nuki wrote::wink:
You need to get a boat in order to get an access to those secret spots where you can catch some fish.

And I'll be selling a great little st arted boat this spring. Aluminum V-hull, refurbished. :wink:

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:44 pm

ya boats are great but who can deny commin in proud of your little bass dinks only to have dougie catch a 3lb tuc right in front of you at the dock! and then rub it in telling you it was a slow day for him only 5 or 6!!!! dont need a boat to catch! just persistence!

grl0218
angler level

Postby grl0218 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 am

Well yea a boat would be nice. Or if someone happen to have a seat available on one I would rent space on one. Going to try again tomorrow. Maybe silver spiners. Or grub with shot.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Roys tackle is a good place to find some freshwater rods and reels. They have some shimano curados, nice shimano spinning reels and an ok selection of shimano rods...not much for lures though. Ocassionally I get lucky at sports authority and find some roboworms or other bass lures. They do carry a good supply of rapalas but walmart is a bit cheaper and usually has the same stuff. I have also found some bass lures at some swap meets.

Return to “General Discussion”