How was the freshwater fishing in 2010?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

How was the fishing in lake Wilson in 2010?

excellent
9%
good
55%
average
18%
below average
18%
poor
No votes

Total votes: 11

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

How was the freshwater fishing in 2010?

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:01 am

I was wondering how you guys did in 2010?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Well, since I've only really been seriously fishing the lake for 2 years, all I can compare 2010 with is 2009, which was definitely better than 2010. Apparently 2008 was ALOT better than 2009 from talking with many other fishermen who said it was not uncommon to catch over 100 Tucs a day!

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:36 pm

I never seen schooling tucs at Morgans like 3 years ago. First year and last busting late evenings from 4 till the sun went down a couple evenings from the point al the way out into tuc bay look like a Aku pile boiling for like a minute on an off on the shad had to be there. I know chris was there and he was trippin out wish I had a video camera unreal! Floater fly hitting bubble and all! Other than that it's still good in the summer on blueboat but not the busting on top action like morgans. Morgans hasn't gone off either for the past 2 years. But the lm bass are coming back! As long as there's still water and fish in there I got no complaints!

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:03 pm

I put below average. Overall the fishing was inconsistant. I started the year off slow and never really hit a lot of good days. I caught more large fish last year, but less of the medium and small fish. I agree with fisher dude, not as much topwater action. I think the tuc population is smaller now. Conditions for spawning must have been good this year. In the spring there was a lot of small bluegills. During the summer a lot of yearling lm bass showed up. There were so many I hooked up to one as soon as my lure hit the water. That has not happened since the late 80's.
The tucs were still spawning heavily into the late summer. Normally I will see 3 fry balls in the whole month of August. Last year, I saw an average of 3 a day in September. I haven't seen or caught many over 5 inches though. Maybe they all got eaten. My friend caught two grand slams in one month last year from shore, all in the same area. That is really rare.

Overall, freshwater fishing was still better than saltwater fishing last year, except for the last two months of the year. The whipping action was really good.

Return to “General Discussion”