electric motor ?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

fisher dude
King Sushi level

electric motor ?

Postby fisher dude » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:06 pm

what size trolling motors do you folks run ft.lbs? gonna order one but dont know much ft lbs of thrust would be adequate to order for my 14ft livingston any suggestions!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:21 pm

In this case I gotta say "Bigger is better". You can always use less power than what you have, but you can never use more power than you have.
That being said, I have a 55# thrust on my 17' fiberglass boat. I believe 55# is the most you can run on A 12V system. Anything more and you'll need 24V or 36V.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:33 pm

That makes sense... I just look at the ones I can use on 12V because that's what I have. The one on my 12 foot Livingston was a tiller style.
I think it was 30# or something.

I like the ones that have an automatic pilot. I also use the one with the long 18 foot cord so I can work the electric motor from the center of the boat and have 2 guys fishing... one in front, one in back. Minkota?

I order them from Cabelas.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:33 am

I use a 30 pound thrust on my aluminum Grumman canoe, more than adequate for that lightweight craft.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:53 pm

thanx for the replies probly going to order the minnkota edge 45lbs the fancy foot pedal steering!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:03 pm

If the kit does not come with it, I'd highly recommend the flush mount or recessed kit.(I think thats what its called). It basically sinks the control pedal level with the floor of the boat. Mine does not have this so the foot controller sits above the deck and is awkward to stand on one foot and use the controller with the other.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:27 pm

I've had several people tell me to get the recessed foot peddle.
Can you adapt your boat for that?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Hmm? good info got to look into that i was going to mount a flat casting platform from my center console to the bow probly marine ply is that something i need to cut whole into floor to recess?

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:00 pm

yep you can get a aftermarket kit to pet in the pedal recess. kinda pricey for a damn aluminum box! easy though cut the hole to fit, make sure you got the clearance underneath and good to go, just drop it in.make sure you get one to fit i think they are universal but im not sure, i have it on my to do list for my rig! as for motors more is better for sure but go with what you can afford, i have a 40lb on my aluminum rig and it works ok, windy days have to run it on 4 or 5 but ive found its more important to have a good battery. spend the money and get an optima and running it on high for longer wont be a problem. had an 80lb on my other rig and it sucked dealing with a 24 volt system! by the way cabelas has free shipping on over 99$ purchases right now! dunno if being over weight and size will count but itll save big time if it does!

Return to “General Discussion”