lures??

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

lures??

Postby marcusn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:37 pm

hey guys also wanted to know what lures i should use for the tucs, large, and small mouths. i know that kastmasters work but i dont know what size to use. i also hear white senkos texas rigged is good. what size for both of these lures??!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 pm

IMO, the fishing is pretty tough right now, even with live bait, as compared to last year. Plus, with the water cooling down, the Tucs won't be as active. Check out the Lures & Flyes page on here. I have alot of the same lures. Tucs seem to like smaller lures, ones that imitate shad or small bait fish.

http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/default.asp?nc=3552&id=38

In the second pic, I have almost all of those lures. The gold fly seems to bo the secret weapon on this lake.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 pm

My best fishing months for tucs are usually from fall to spring, once they start spawning is when I don't catch as many fish. I tend not to go after the spawners much though. They will hit just about anything except plastic worms...but you can get them on pure reaction strikes ocasionally with worms. Smaller lures work a littte better most of the time. For the bass you can get them on any typical bass lure. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, worms, topwater ect... I've only caught a few smallmouths and I got them on jerkbaits and spinnerbaits.

For the kastmasters use the smallest size I think they're 1/8th or something. I usually fish them fast with some twithcing and pausing mixed in. Seem to work best if you cast to the swirls in less than 3 seconds and make your cast a couple feet past the swirls and burn it through the middle. When they bust you can try this method if you have the paitence, don't cast until you see them bust/swirl. You will end up catching more fish a lot of the time because you'll always be ready for the fish when they are in their short feeding frenzy. Once you start "blind casting" you will almost always have your lure in the wrong spot and by the time you get your lure ready cast to the last swirl you saw it's too late and the fish have gone deep again. This is especially true when they are schooling in open water that is deeper. If you get them schooling in the shallows and up against the bank there is no need to wait for swirls. I often will throw a crankbait when they go deep instead of just waiting and as soon as I see the baitfsih starting to rise I go to a kastmaster or small jerkbait. But you have to be quick and not let the excitment get the best of you...is still struggle with this :D

I think the only that may be more exciting than shcooling tucs is getting slammed using topwater. Wish I was fishing right NOW!

marcusn
King Sushi level

Postby marcusn » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:41 am

thanks guys for your help!

Return to “General Discussion”