Roadrunner Jig

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:20 pm

What Lure.....
*Catches all species of game fish
*Marabou provides pulsating breathing action
*Tied with a chenille body and nylon wound for extra strength
*Eye catching spinner blade
*Painted with durable chip resistant paint

I had heard of guys using the roadrunner jig to catch peacock bass. I even picked up a few the last time I was on the mainland. (Hawaii stores stock very little in the way of freshwater fishing tackle) I even used one once.... a few casts.... no luck.

Well, today I tied on a 1/2 oz. white one because I needed something an inexperienced angler could use that didn't require much fishing skill. Something easy to cast at the schooling peacock bass. Just cast it our and reel it in.

Using that roadrunner jig, our angler caught well over 1/2 of all the fish we landed today. Peacock bass, largemouth bass, even the largest fish of the day, a 3 1/2 pound peacock. More fish than we caught using live bait. Needless to say, I'm on the computer looking for places to buy some more of these jigs.

This is her largest peacock bass... 3 1/2 pounds.

StanImage
Last edited by Stan Wright on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:20 pm

I told you so! I guess what worked 15 years ago still works today! Was that the couple that I saw you fishing with yesterday? I only caught 3 tucs and a nice channel catfish. They were really picky for some reason.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:52 am

That was us. Before you got there the fish were busting all over the place and the sun was shining. It was a fish on every cast. Later, things started slowing down.... we had lots of chases, but they just were not as aggressive as earlier. Still picked up a few now and then. She was catching on that white roadrunner even when the fish were down and not chasing on the surface.

Say, what happened to you when the rain started comming down in buckets? When the rain slacked off a little bit so we could see ..... you were gone. LOL

A nice 2 3/4 pound fish. (Photo taken by a "professional" photographer... <grin>)

StanImage

typical8o8
angler level

Postby typical8o8 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:00 pm

sorry to revive this post but the Road Runner is one of 2 artificial lures that i consider deadly for tucs. we used to use 1/16 oz & 1/8 oz black or white marabou Road Runners to catch tucs 20 at a time at one spot (back when you could "decoy" a tuc). my only complaint is the strength of the hooks. they are easily straightened.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

roadrunners

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Welcome to the forum typical8o8, I recognize your screen name from another forum. The roadrunner gets heavy rotation when I fish for tucs. A lot of times I use the roadrunner as my search bait. I have two issues with the roadrunner. First, the biggest problem I have is with the spinner blade. The blade must spin or else the lure loses a lot of it's effectiveness. Two, some roadrunners run on it's side, I want them to run straight up and down. I have a whole bunch that I have to tune.

typical8o8
angler level

Postby typical8o8 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:54 am

007, i guess it's different fishing the roadrunner from the bank and off a boat. when using it from the banks, i use a steady hopping (stop & go) retrieve along the bottom so i don't really need to worry about it coming in sideways or if the blade is not spinning. it has been a while since i've really fished the lake hard as i've done more saltwater fishing but the excitement is coming back. i don't know how long you've been fishing the lake but if you haven't tried using the cordell ratt'l spot minnow YOU SHOULD. they are very hard to find nowadays and i'm getting a bunch in soon so let me know if you are interested. these lures killed tucs and bass in lake wilson long before jerkbaits came onto the scene. they might be that wildcard when nothing else is working.

King Sushi level

spot

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:17 am

I also fish from the bank, but I seem to get better results if the blade spins. Thanks for the tip on the rattl'n spot. Is that like the rat-l-trap? I like the smallest size they have. Sometimes it works great for me, sometimes not, maybe I do not know how to use that lure. How do you keep the line from getting all twisted? I do not use a baitcaster. If you can, you should try the lake now, January has been a good month and has been for the last few years. February has been tough. There also is some bad weather coming in next week. This morning was really good. Pretty much anything you used worked.

typical8o8
angler level

Postby typical8o8 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:03 pm

the ratt'l spot minnow is like the rattle trap but smaller & more elongated. i use a slow steady retrieve while whipping with my tip down. this makes the lure dart back and forth. like when i use the roadrunner, tucs always hit the lure at the stop or pause between the hops or darts so the strike is always a surprise. ever since the catch & release rules, i've only fished the lake sparingly. we used to decoy one tuc on a stringer and more would come around. too bad we can't do that anymore. here's the page for the lure i'm talking about

http://www.cottoncordelllures.com/detai ... SpotMinnow

they used to have them in a lot of other colors but i guess they were discontinued.

King Sushi level

minnow spot

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:17 pm

Hey 808, you are right, the minnow spot is hard to find. Is the minnow spot better than the regular spot? I think I will order some, I am kind of psyched to try them out, I like to try new stuff out. Thanks for the info.

typical8o8
angler level

Postby typical8o8 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:55 am

it's easier to give the ratt'l spot minnow the darting action that tucs go crazy over. we used to use the silver or gold ones with good success. i just ordered a decent sized lot of these lures so hopefully they are the size i want. the regular ratt'l spots should work but i don't think you would be able to put the same action on them as the minnow. hopefully the lures come in by saturday so i can tie them on and give them a try. i'll let you know how it goes. the only thing is i might have to tie on some braid or fireline so i don't lose them so easily.

King Sushi level

rattl'n spot minnow

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:08 am

Hey 808, the site I visited only had one size available, do they come in different sizes? I think firetiger is a good color also. Have you tried them out? I know the conditions have been bad the last week or so, hence you might not have done to well. I have not gone because I got sick.

Return to “General Discussion”