Results of the 2nd Annual Lake Wilson Tournament

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

HFFA-TC
bass level

Results of the 2nd Annual Lake Wilson Tournament

Postby HFFA-TC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi Guys, sorry I’m so late with this report.

It was a very interesting tournament. I use the word interesting when the fishing is hard. Eleven boats were entered and seven caught fish. Four out of five club boats and three out of six outside boats got lucky. I guess you darksiders need to practice more with lures. LOL. There were only three limits (3 fish), three boats got two fish and one boat got a single fish. The way the fishing has been the last few months, it was actually not a bad day.

I got my first fish a little after 9am. I caught it at the point just before Morgan’s. It was our big fish-a nice tuc at 3lbs 4oz. Hey Tommy, where did you get yours? We caught our fish at about the same time. I caught it on my “magic” lure-a 1/8 oz gold kastmaster. I buy them by the dozen as it has worked for me for the last couple of years. Things were slow for us until after 2pm when we saw some fish busting near the Masonic Temple. We assumed they were Tucs and started throwing all sorts of lures at them. No takers. Then I figured what the hell and started throwing my brand new Sebile. I was using the suspending one-never got a bite on the floating lure. On my first cast, I got a bite. It felt like a Tuc but when it came close to the boat, the color was wrong. When my partner got it into the net, what do you know, it was a smallmouth. I never saw them this far up the south fork. It has been over a decade since I caught one. After several more casts, I caught another one! What a day! And to top it off, our three fish was enough for second place. We improved one place up from last year. I hope it carries over into next year!

Hey Tommy, sorry about the misunderstanding about your choice of “bait”. I saw you at BBP but saw you working your lure so didn’t think you were using live bait. I didn’t know anything about it until Lance said something but I saw your facial expression of surprise and didn’t think anything about it. I also saw the postings here and I guess the matter is resolved.

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone for allowing me to weigh-in my stressed fish early. Because of this I am thinking of having a lunch time weigh-in next year or a “come find me” weigh-in if you have a stressed fish. We have this in our club but as a courtesy allowed by the weigh master and not a rule. What do you guys think? If you have any suggestions on improving next years tournament, post them here. This was only our second year so it is still a work in progress. What I would really like are suggestions on how to reach more anglers. Remember, our goal is to have twenty “outsider” boats in the tournament. Our club members only fish when there are openings.
I have posted the results and have eliminated last names in case some of the people wanted to remain anonymous.

[/img]
See you on the Lake

MIKE

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:56 am

Hey Mike,
Thanks for posting up the results and for organizing the tourney. Not you guys fault someone "assumed" I was using live bait just because we were parked on BBP. The more I think about it, the more idiotic that whole accusation becomes. There are 1000 ways to cheat in a bass tourney, and 999 are better than trying to use live bait out in the main basin in front of half the competitors. I've calmed down about the whole thing. Its not the tourney or HFFAs fault one guy wants to "assume" and we all know what happens when we "assume", and it happened.

I caught my Tuc at 0830 hours very close to where you caught yours! Just next to the point across from Morgans, as you start into Tuc Bay. I guess I should have stayed there! :lol:

I can say I am VERY consistant. Last years tourney, I placed 5th with one Tuc that weighed 2 lb. 6 oz., this year I placed 5th with one Tuc that weighed 2 lb. 8 oz.!
Caught him on a jerk bait. Like the one in the middle here.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:52 pm

there wasnt a shortage of short fish for sure, the only ones that we mighta been able to weigh in we never got to the boat.and as always the problem against so many good fishermen is there are no spots that go unattacked! i think we fished several spots that were well picked over. to pogis credit and mine we managed to still get a few bites in some of them but couldnt boat em.was a good time and i enjoyed the competition even if we didnt place. i think most if your gonna expand to alot of boats youll have to go to a live bait tournament, just too many guys wont do lures.personally i gave up bait long ago but then again i zeroed out sunday hahahaha. we found the secret spot right off the bat.......... alas there was no pot of gold there for us........

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:39 pm

It would have been nice to see some more familiar faces from here at the tourney. Aside from the ever dominating Kelton, its really only a little skill and a little luck involved, could be anyone's game.

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Is that the only public tournament once a year? Couldn't fish tournament was wifes birthday she would've been pissed lol!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:53 am

It has been awhile since I have fished in the tounaments on wilson and wanted to get back into it. I know they are on sundays once a month but when is the next one? Can I just show up and pay my dues for the remainder of the year?

HFFA-TC
bass level

Postby HFFA-TC » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:34 am

Ca_Bass-the tournament is today, the 15th. It would probably be too late to fish todays tournament. What I would suggest is you attend our monthly meeting at Dots in Wahiawa. It's the last Wednesday of every month except December at 7 pm.

Fisher Dude, unfortunately the Jackpot Tournament is only once a year for now. If you are interested in tournament fishing, I would suggest you join the club. Come to one of our meetings and see if you would like to join.

According to the latest posts, it seems the tucs are beginning to bite. I hope so! I will post the tournament report in the fishing report section either tonight or tomorrow. I have my "secret lures" tied on. I caught two smallmouth bass at the jackpot tournament with them. Let's see if I can get the tucs to bite. Wish me luck!
See you on the Lake

MIKE

Return to “General Discussion”