Familiar Waters

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

boneless
bass level

Familiar Waters

Postby boneless » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Just watched an episode of Outdoor Channel's fly fishing show "Familiar Waters" filmed here on Oahu. Host Mike was after oio, first with Sawyer from Lost then on his own. While he didn't get skunked, he did get more or less beat down. I know it's wrong and bachi to get pleasure from another person's suffering, but I'm going to admit it. I was on the verge of tears of joy. Before you curse me, let me explain. I've watched many bonefishing installments of this show. Good old Mike in the Bahamas or the Keys or Mexico catching fish after fish. Once when he was after permit, he was pretty much considering the oios a nuisance because they kept eating his fly before the permit had a chance. Watching always made me wonder what I what I was doing wrong as I spent day after fruitless day flapping around the flats. So please forgive me, but it was therapeutic to witness someone with a guide, and a flats boat, and some actual experience and casting ability get worked just like me. Does this mean I'm NOT doing things wrong? Of course not. Does it make me a bad person? Yeah, probably. But I can live with that.
Wherever you go, there you are.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:57 am

A reality check is always good! :wink:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Humbled? I saw that show.... The fish really did a number on them. Just this week we saw some huge oio tailing on the flats.... they also refused everything we offered.

We were thinking that the tide was going down and they were not hungry because they had been feeding several hours from the time the tide had started to come up. I don't know. They showed us no love at all.

I kind of felt bad for the guide. When you do a TV show you want to catch a lot of fish (look good).. but then he got them on the fish.... can't help it if they couldn't catch them. At least people got to see that there are fish here and they are a challenge to catch. I thought it was a good show.

Even the experts get skunked every once in a while...
(apologies to Skunked)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

boneless
bass level

Postby boneless » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:34 pm

I agree, Stan. It wasn't them getting beat up in it itself, more the idea that Hawaii bonefish are especially tough to fool. It gave me hope that if I get a chance to go after bones somewhere else, I'll maybe catch more than one a year. Did Mike and crew come and shoot a Lake Wilson episode while they were in town?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Return to “General Discussion”