Very good advice.....

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Very good advice.....

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:22 am

Notice what is number one on his list......

http://www.kayakanglermag.com/component ... olkit.html
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:21 am

I'd add one more thing to "My new list of have to have things"..... my boga grip. It protects me from those multi-hook lures in the fishes mouth when it shakes it's head as I try to "lip it". (when the fishing's good, it saves my thumb from all that abrasion from the fishes teeth). It protects the fish from being handled and loosing it's slimy film. And........ it gives me a few more inches to hold the fish closer to the camera to make it look bigger in the pictures. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

hef
bass level

Postby hef » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Sorry fellas, have been on the ship and haven't been online for a bit. Speaking of those, I've never caught a Tuc before, but notice a bunch of people are always using those boga grips to handle the bass. Are they needed? Are their teeth that bad?
[url]if[/img]

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Their teeth are about the same as a LMB, but because they are much more aggressive, they shake about way more than a LMB. If you only grab a few by the lip, no problem, but if you start catching 20+, you end up getting "Tuc Thumb", basically your skin getting rubbed raw. I just belly scoop them, although that removes their slime coat.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:12 pm

yep i belly land em as much as possible, especially if treble hooks are involved. only lip em if i need leverage to get the hooks out or i used a single hook lure. i figure as long as i minimise the contact and time out of the water they should be ok.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:56 am

Wet your hands before the belly grab and you won't remove the slime coat as severely. Also, don't squeeze too hard on the grab. You do not want to cause any internal injury to the vital organs. Basically, just scoop and palm them. If that gets difficult, then just lip them. If your thumb gets raw, bring a towel so you can thumb them using the towel as a layer. Otherwise, man up and suck it up! :lol: A bass thumb is the price to pay for a good day :lol:
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 am

the small ones heehoo and grab them by squezing the gills gently take the hook out and fly them back the bigger ones i stick my pointer finger under the gill plate and lift seems to work no scratches and only touching fish with one finger catfish and anyother species grab the boga grips seem to be slimy and stink lol!

Return to “General Discussion”