PFD's

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

typical8o8
angler level

PFD's

Postby typical8o8 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:01 pm

After fishing the lake all my life, I figure it's time to man-up and finally invest in one of these things. PFD's were always too cumbersome, expensive, not readily available, or whatever other reason is out there. I was probably just too lazy (or broke) to get one.

What PFD do you guys use/recommend. I primarily fish from the banks. I saw this one on Cabelas that piqued my interest.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:10 pm

It wouldn't be my first choice in PFDs because:

CONS: Since it looks like you have to manually inflate it. If you were knocked out or arms disabled (unlikely I know), you may not be able to inflate it.

BUT,.....

PROS: Its convienent and not cumbersome which will result in it being worn more often that a large, bulky PFD.

SteveLee
minnow level

Postby SteveLee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:19 pm

If you order an inflatable PFD from a mail-order catalog, they cannot mail it to you. something about having a CO2 cartridge. TSA prohibits this being sent by air. I know because I have tried...West Marine has them (on Sand Island Road). We wear those on the boat when ocean trolling. there are vest type PFDs too, some of the more expensive models have auto inflation.

While there is no price for safety. Get the best that is most practical for your use and what you can afford. I picked up my belt inflatable from West Marine for about $60 (on sale) and recently a kayaking pfd with mesh shoulders from Cabelas for $30. The kayak pfd / life jackets are a lot cooler to wear. Gets pretty warm on the lake. Cabelas should have these as well as other catalog retailers.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Your right about not mail ordering the ones with a CO2 cartarage.
I got one of the self inflating ones the last time I was on the mainland, removed the CO2 cartarage and put it in my suitcase. I got the CO2 from West Marine when I got back.

My wife insists I always wear it when I'm fishing alone.... she wants to make sure they find a body so she can collect the insurance.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:55 pm

I can't imagine you being worth very much there Stan! :lol: Unless you're like me, worth more dead than alive!!!! :roll:

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:37 pm

id save your money and get a vest style pfd.the auto inflate vests are pricey and i have heard just a little bit of rain or a splash of water can make em inflate. i have a friend had one inflate in his storage closet from too much humidity. over a hundred bucks and iffy vs 30 bucks and you can still wear em like a fishing vest with little or no problem. i have the vest style and they really arent too bad.

Return to “General Discussion”