Catfish & Trout Hatchery to Close

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Catfish & Trout Hatchery to Close

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Looks like the fish hatchery closing is a done deal... I read today that it will be converted from raising fish to raising sea urchants and sea weed.

Hopefully some private fish hatchery can be staarted.
Last edited by Stan Wright on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Crash
King Sushi level

WOW

Postby Crash » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 pm

I havent been active at all lately, but have been lurking and reading up on Lake Wilson weekly.

This really is bad news about Kokee. I remember many years in the late 80's early 90's that we would all jump a plane from Oahu to Kauai just to catch a few 'Bows. Good times and a lot of "Hanapa'as".

Very unfortunate news, but with the current state of our economy....unfortunately understandable.

So basically, I think I need to make the trip this year back up to Waimea Valley to catch a few. When is this year's season Stan??

Mahalos
Crash

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 am

Here's my 2 cents. State "budgetary shortfalls"- what a bunch of BS. I know times are tough but what it is is misappropriation of funds. I have heard that they intend to spend $500,000 in the upcoming year to- get this- fence off the shore accessible areas of lake wilson. They want to spend precious dollars to fence off areas that maybe a couple hundred people use versus spending money on programs like the trout and catfish fisheries that many, many people use not to mention healthy outdoor activities for young kids, scouts, and schools. go figure.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:21 pm

would be sad to see such an end of an era. many happy memories of fishing kokee! i havent seen any small bass around these past 2 years is that wahiawa school still raising and releasing them? i heard rumor they were doin bluegill,could that be why the bluegill are making a comback?

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Boatless wrote:Here's my 2 cents. State "budgetary shortfalls"- what a bunch of BS. I know times are tough but what it is is misappropriation of funds.

I worked for DLNR from Waihe'e, thru the Cayetano, and Lingle administrations and my experience is that the Lingle administration by far the most corrupt, inexperienced, bumbling fools that I ever had the displeasure of working for. Lingle was so focused on trying to clean out the "old boys" that they replaced experienced dedicated old timers with allot of ignorant inexperienced butt kissers who were too busy screwing each other to get ahead, and disposing of anyone who had the courage to speak out against corruption. Just look at the conditions of the Small boat harbors run now by Boating Division heads who were just recently harbor janitors, and clerks with no required BA degrees but got there by back stabbing and butt kissing, not hard work, dedication or experience in their field. These idiots are too proud to admit their inexperience and just pat each others back after each stupid decision. I used to have hope for the GOP but Lingle and her cronies have changed my mind 180 degrees.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:37 pm

We've pretty much given up on the Sand Island Hatchery... it is closing, and there isn't really anything we can do. What we are trying to do is explore the idea of starting another hatchery kind of like the one at Wahiawa Middle School. It's a huge undertaking and needs lots of study from all angles before anything can be started. For the time being we are just exploring new ideas and suggestions.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:00 am

How about creating a Oahu Lawai'a Association and start a private hatchery approved by the state?

Our hatchery situation mirrored yours. A few years ago, the government decided to reintroduce Atlantic Salmon back into Lake Ontario and basically shoved the existing Pacific Salmon program aside. Our Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters picked up the Pacific Salmon stocking program and continued the production of chinook, coho and steelhead fry and smolts to maintain the stocking level of our Great Lake tributaries.

It's still going strong and it could be done. Aside from catfish and trout, imaging the possibility of stocking moi, mullet and GT in restored fish pond in the future for recreational purposes. :wink:

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:47 am

Here is a link to the video of Anuenue closing in case you havent seen it.

http://www.kitv.com/video/19774364/index.html

Hey Stan
In this news story they said there was some kind of meeting planned on Tuesday at the Willows? Did you or anyone attend?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks for the link.

Return to “General Discussion”