Help for a new fly fisher.

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

nomondai
bait level

Help for a new fly fisher.

Postby nomondai » Tue May 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Hello all I just started to fly fish and I think I got the basics of casting down practicing at the park or my back yard. I really want to start fishing for bonefish I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good beginners spot and what time I should go, or ever better yet if I could tag along with someone when they go. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed May 27, 2009 1:19 am

I'd say before you head out fishing, go down to the beach, wade into waist deep water and start practicing your casting again. When you are lower in the water, the casting gets a bit more difficult. Also, try casting in a full circle if the space allows (ie...make a few casts at 1 o'clock position, then face the 2 o'clock position and make a few casts, then at 3 o'clock position...etc). What that helps you to achieve is to learn to cast in various wind conditions (with the winds in your face, at your back, or blowing from the side). Once you get that down, then you can go fishing. :wink: It's not always fun fishing on the flats when you cannot cast to fish...speaking from experience :wink:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed May 27, 2009 5:06 pm

Good advice on the casting in the water. LOL

Try visit the guys over at Nervous Water Fly shop
http://www.nervouswaterhawaii.com/default.asp
I'm sure they could give yu some good advice.

If your in the military... Hickham AFB.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

boneless
bass level

Postby boneless » Thu May 28, 2009 7:11 am

Looks like good advice from Stan and Ken. Bonefish (at least here) are, to use skiiing terms, black diamond fish. If you're me, they're double balck diamond. It might be a while before you get one, but try not to get too frustrated. I've been fly fishing for a while but I'm an o'io beginner so trying not to get too frustrated is something I spend a lot of energy on. My remedy is to go after easier fish in between flats beatdowns. It helps to keep my spirits up. Check out the pm I sent you and let me know if you want some other ideas.
Wherever you go, there you are.

nomondai
bait level

Thank you

Postby nomondai » Thu May 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks for all of the advice.
Iwas going to the beach this weekend to practice casting and while I would like to catch any kind of fish I really wanted to start fly fishing to relax and relieve some stress. It would be great to hire a guide but I can't afford it. Well we'll see what happens this weekend.
Good fishing everyone.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu May 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Hey, even though you're practicing how to cast, it doesn't stop you from tying a fly on the end of the line. Just put your focus on casting and practicing...and maybe you'll get lucky with hooking up a fish in the process. But most importantly, learn to cast first.

Also want to add...learn to cast precisely and accurately (precise and accurate are two different things). Learn to do that first with 30-40 feet distance, then once you achieved that, increase the distance by 5 feet interval. With a heavy rod (8-wt or heavier) and the heavier line to go with it, and the wind affecting your cast, a 10 feet increase in distance is a large step.

Really, I would prefer to have a precise and accurate 40-foot cast than a 75-foot cast that I cannot control.

I speak like I have experience...but really, I'm as much a newbie as you are. I just know what I need to work on :lol:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu May 28, 2009 8:34 pm

When you've learned to cast about 20 to 25 feet.... and you can put that fly into a 3 foot circle.... let me know. I'll put you on the fish.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”