Lake Fork trip #3....We'll get 'em next time.

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Lake Fork trip #3....We'll get 'em next time.

Postby skunked » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:25 am

I always look forward to our annual trip to Houston to visit my in-laws. They are great people and this is also my time to indulge in awesome Mexican food, get away from work, shop at Bass Pro Shops, and chase my dream of a 10 lb. Lake Fork bass! I'll include some other stuff too for my own entertainment.
This makes me sick!
Texas is known for the beautiful blue bonnets. Bring back memories, Stan?
Had to stop at my favorite store first. That's my 18" long receipt!
Squirrel and nuts
On our way to Fork, we stopped in Athens, TX to check this place out. This is where the ShareLunker program is based. It was a great place to visit. They even had a fishing pond for visitors to fish. They even supplied the rods, reels, and bait.
They had tanks filled with rainbow trout, massive blue cats, crappie, bass, and bluegill.
Big mama
We caught several catfish and this rainbow trout that my sis-in-law was terrified by.
This is a replica mount of the 18.18 lb. Texas state record largemouth caught out of Lake Fork in 1992, I think. What a fish!
I think these are the tanks they use to rear the bass fry.
People familiar with Senkos will find this funny like I did. (on the lure's package it says "custom baits") Gary Yamamoto owns this ranch right next to Lake Fork.
My wife and I went out with pro guide and FLW pro Tom Redington on March 25, 2009. http://lakeforkguidetrips.com He is an excellent guide, real nice guy, and if any of you ever go to Fork, he would be a great choice for your guide.
Started off at the ramp at Lake Fork Marina at around 7am.
Fishing was slow due to the fluctuating weather. All 3 of us were having no success except for a couple of dinks, with my wife catching the first fish as usual. She constantly reminds me about this.
I was using my BPS 6'10" Extreme MH casting rod with a Citica 201E reel that I had just bought a few days earlier during my Bass Pro Shops annual shopping spree! It was spooled with 17lb. Berkley 100% fluorocarbon.
My wife was using her Extreme spinning rod with a Daiwa Exceler 2500 reel. It was spooled with a terrible braided line I took a chance on called Tuf Line Duracast in 24lb. test.
We were using soft plastics with a very small weight. We used Senko type lures and also Lake Fork Live Magic Shads.
Tom rigged my other rod (Texas sidewinder rod/Shimano Metanium MG7/BPS 17lb. fluorocarbon) with a medium running crankbait. This rod was only used sporadically and no fish were caught on the crankbait.
The conditions for the first half of the day looked very promising, but even with Tom hustling to different spots all over the place, it just wasn't happening for us. The one bright spot was the 5 1/2 pounder I caught at around 10am. This is probably the 2nd biggest bass I've ever caught. It bit a senko and fought really hard for a LMB.
Tom said that the bad weather the day before really shut down the bite for us. I believed him because even he couldn't get any bites.
Tom's Ranger boat was so beautiful and super fast. On the far right you can see the huge Rogue minnow that he was throwing. I think the fish in Lake Wilson would be afraid of something that big!

After stopping for lunch, we headed out again, but my wife decided to stay back due to the dark clouds up above. This turned out to be a smart move on her part. Tom and I continued to fish without any success. He really tried hard to find some fish for me and to keep away from the rain clouds. I appreciated his efforts because I had another guide in the past who was just the opposite. Finally at around 3pm, I hook a 4 pounder. I didn't even feel the bite. It was a beautiful fish, but I couldn't take a picture because by this time it was raining and I couldn't get my camera wet. Soon after I released the bass, it started pouring HARD, so Tom fired up the big motor and we speed off at around 60 mph back to the Marina. Let me tell you, Texas raindrops slamming into your face at 60 mph is not a good feeling! We caught a total of 7 fish, with my 5.5 and 4 being the only decent sized ones. I hope to be able to afford another guided trip next year so that I can continue my quest to catch a big hawg.
What an awesome lake!
The tuc in the aquarium at Lake Fork Marina is still there. This time I got a picture. It looks just like the butterfly pavons we have here. This one was driven cross-country from Florida.
That ginourmous bass is gonna eat the kids!
When fishing and shopping are your addictions, you have a major problem!
St. Croix Mojo Bass and Chronarch 51MG
New Texas Sidewinder rod featuring the spiral wrapped guides. A great idea that hasn't caught on with the masses.
Barn owl in my in-law's yard.
Goldfish mini crankbait. I had to get this for my collection.
Me and Sam Houston
After the factory tour, they gave us one free scoop. I went back for 3 more!
My familia at the San Jacinto monument. This is a very important place in Texas' history.
My niece Kayla and nephew Aaron were having a blast catching bluegills at Hermann Park next to the Houston Zoo. We used bologna from our sandwiches for bait!
Crawfish boil at our family get together. Everyone loved it!
Last edited by skunked on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Fresh&Salty
bass level

What a great family vacation

Postby Fresh&Salty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:10 am

What a great family vacation Skunked! Happy you got everyone involved. Great catches too. :D
Never fish down wind of someone using chopsticks and wearing surgical gloves, trying to bait their hook.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Great vacation pictures... yes it did bring back memories. I hope you got the chicken-fried-steak and sweet tea for lunch at the marina.
:lol: LOL :lol:
Stan
So when are we going out on the lake and "field testing" those lures?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 am

Great pics!

That receipt was more like 24" wasnt it???? :lol:

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Tackle Ho! :twisted:

Nice trip. Bummer about not finding your big hawg once again. :? I'm sure you'll get her one day.

That's a lot of crawfish :shock:

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:44 am

Stan Wright wrote:Great vacation pictures... yes it did bring back memories. I hope you got the chicken-fried-steak and sweet tea for lunch at the marina.
:lol: LOL :lol:
Stan
So when are we going out on the lake and "field testing" those lures?

Oh yes I did, more than once! What I really liked at the Marina was the ribeye steak and. I had it twice. As for the field testing, I'm ready! I saw you yesterday. You were the only one to slow down while passing me.

Boatless wrote:Great pics!

That receipt was more like 24" wasnt it????

You're a typical man exaggerating the length of things! :lol:

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Skunked,

Sorry your quest for double digit bass, is still on the waiting list!! :( Like you, I'm still waiting for mine two :cry:

Look at it this way, the pursuit just continues!! More tackle, more fishing, more tackle, more fishing, ........you get the picture!!

Here in Singapore, just enjoying the tackle stores. Not buying much, saving myself for Japan :wink:

We should hookup with Stan, later this spring and do some fishing.

Should be back June and July.

There's always next year!!

Bass regards, Mel Kahuna bass
United Composites - USA rod company
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm still waiting for my 10 pounder too.....
We'll see if we can best that 8 pound peacock bass this June or July
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Stan & Skunked,

We should start the "Dark side - live baiter/sub 10 lb club :wink: "

I had hoped to break the 10 lb mark early this year, but work got in the way. It's all good, it pays for my fishing tackle addiction.

You'll have to wait for Mexico, Skunded has to head back to Texas and I'll just have to wait for Clear lake again.

Bass regards, Mel
Dark side live baiter, swim baiter, tackle ho & sub 10 lb club member :cry:

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:09 pm

The hot lake right now in Texas is Choke Canyon. It has produced 2 bass over 15 pounds in the last few months! Maybe I'll try there next year, I dunno. I just enjoy the whole Lake Fork road trip thing. Maybe I'll go to both...and Falcon, Conroe, Sam Rayburn, etc.
Maybe I'll just give in to the wife and move there! But then I can't live without chicken katsu.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:42 am

Just booked my 4th Lake Fork guide trip for June 30th! Very excited, except I am afraid the heat will be unbearable. Trying another guide this time, even though my last guide was great. I figure I'll try a different guide every year for at least 3 more years, and then settle on one that I'll stick with.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:50 pm

skunked wrote:Just booked my 4th Lake Fork guide trip for June 30th! Very excited, except I am afraid the heat will be unbearable. Trying another guide this time, even though my last guide was great. I figure I'll try a different guide every year for at least 3 more years, and then settle on one that I'll stick with.

Good luck Skunked!!

Always a pleasure reading and looking at your fishing and shopping adventures!! Wish you all the luck in the world, for your first 10lb LMB :wink:

I know its summer conditions, but have you ever fished live crawdads for big lake fork bass? There has to be some deep rock piles, that a fly lined crawdad would be such an easy meal.

Have a great time, enjoy some good ole southern cooking, spend lots at Bass Pro shop, and continue to pursuit your 10lb bass 8)

Bass regards, Mel - Kahuna bass
Too much work, and no time to fish!!!

Return to “General Discussion”