Finally caught something!

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Guppyspit
bait level

Live bait . . . . minnows

Postby Guppyspit » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:09 pm

Just about all the small streams have guppies, mosquito fish, platys, swordtails to use for bait. I just use a dip net on the day before I go fishing. Theres a few others I haven't tried like the small tilapia and concicts, but is sounds like they work as well. On Wilson, just use bread on a small hook to catch your bait. I'm a new guy too, but I have been finally catching tuc's. Good Fishing!

tucmaster
master baiter level

Earthworms?

Postby tucmaster » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:20 pm

Modest_Man - In constantly damp areas such as the old Nuuanu Pali Drive, you can pull off the side of the road, grab your rake or a nearby stick, and start turning over the decomposing leaves and debris right alongside the road - earthworms under there. There are rural roads, walking paths, or trails across Oahu area that fit the description - damp with lots of decomposing leaves and debris. Good luck and good fishing (uh, worming).

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:44 pm

Heh, thanks. So there arent any places that sell worms eh? Back in Washington any tackle shop has a fridge of different sized earthworms.

Went out this evening and did some bait fishing with a dip net. :D

The two big ones (Green Terrors) are for an aquarium of mine. Couple convicts, an african cichlid, and lots of big livebearers.

I'm going out tomorrow!

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:14 am

Modest_Man - Great job on the live bait. Those livebearers are the "medaka" or liberty mollies that a lot of the locals use.

I've never seen those green terrors before, but they look like some kind of cichlid. Good for your aquarium.

The crayfish are good for the largemouth, but unfortunately those way-to-common red devils love those too. The red devils have those crushing teeth for eating stuff like snails, crayfish and other hard prey.

Let us know how you did today. Good luck and good fishing.

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:21 am

Was getting ready to head out, and checked on the baitfish and they all jumped out over night. Wonderful. Reminder: use a cover. :x

The terrors are a cichlid, from South America. There is a breeding group established where I got the bait fish.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

fishing spot

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:34 pm

Skunked....

I don't have a weed eater, but I do have a boat and I'd be glad to help you clear an area in back of the house so you can fish.

If it 's the house I'm thinking of (accross from Cow Point) I think I've seen you fishing there. We could make a Prime Location out of there.

If we could get your dad and my son (Chris fishes the lake 3 or 4 times a week) to toss a cup of dog food behind the house every day or so................ you wouldn't believe all the fish that would come around.

Aloha,
Stan
352-6197

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:13 pm

Thanks Stan. That's a very nice offer and I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if I need help. As of right now, I don't get out to that spot as much as I'd like because I've been putting in so much time at work. On most of my days off, I just bum out at home. I know...shameful.
Yeah, I think it was me that you saw out there. By looking at the map on this website, it looks like my dad's house is the one you were thinking of.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

bait casting reel

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 pm

Hey skunked, why do like using baitcasting reels? What are the advantages? I like spinning reels for tucunare. They are more versatile than fly fishing reels. I can throw light lures and use smaller diameter lines than a baitcaster. I like lighter lines because it gives the lures better action. I can see how a baitcasting reel is better for largemouth bass. I also like the extra speed my spinning reel has, 33 inches per turn is more than most baitcasters.

lastcall808
angler level

Postby lastcall808 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:39 pm

Hey Bassinassain,

I was watching Bass university and that same question was answered by Mark Zona. Spinning Rods are good for finesse fishing and fishing smaller lures and lines (as you mentioned).
Anytime you fish bigger lures (buzz baits, spinner baits, large plugs) or fish around cover (grass, trees, ect.) the extra torque of a baitcasting reel comes in handy. The Baitcaster was likened to a winch.
If you really like more speed, there are baitcasters that have a higher gear ratio that'll move a lure almost faster than a Peacock can chase...but like Stan once told me "you can't go too fast for a peacock bass"
Hope that helps...I think that there is more information on the ESPN outdoors webpage.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:20 am

I actually had some luck yesterday. I tried a 3" slug-o and had 2 strikes but couldn't hook them. During this time, I saw at least a dozen more tucs swim right by my lure. Frustrated, I busted out my #20 hooks and worm chopped into tiny bits to catch some bait. I found a discarded bucket on the shore and put about 6 little cichlids in it. Then I just waited until the tucs came cruising by again and flipped the bait to them and caught 4 of them. For me, that's a lot! Good Fun!

To answer the question about baitcasting rods/reels. These are only MY thoughts and opinions, so please remember that.
1) NO LINE TWIST!
2) More accuracy when casting. Try pitching a lure onto an 8" target from 25 feet away consistently with a spinning combo.
3) On a normal day when I am not catching anything, I have fun just practicing casting. I enjoy trying different settings on the reel and different casting techniques. After 25+ years of using spinning tackle, it is fun to just try and learn something different and more challenging. When I'm not catching fish (which is 99% of the time!), I just enjoy being out there enjoying nature and trying to improve my skills. Makes fishing less boring. I guess I compare it with driving a stick vs. an automatic. Much more control and less boring with the stick.
4) I enjoy collecting and comparing these reels. I also want to experiment with upgrading the bearings and other tweaks. It's just fun for me. There's no point to that with a spinning reel. A $20 spinning reel will cast just as far as a $400 one.
5) If you are fishing a decent sized live bait from a boat, you can flip it precisely where you want it with very little splash and harm to the bait.
6) Who says you can't use light lines with BC outfits? I use 6,8, and 10 lb. line on mine. I save my 4 lb. line for my spinning rod, but 6 lb. is pretty light line, right?
7) Braided line has no stretch but is not suited for using on spinning tackle. I guess it could be done, but is not optimal.

I just used my UL spining outfit yesterday for throwing the weightless slug-o. There's no way I could've done that with the baitcaster. I guess it is just like a mechanic who always uses the right tool for each job. One is not better than the other, just different.
Of course for whipping those light lures of less than 1/8th ounce, spinning tackle will always be better, but for other applications, you should really give baitcasting a try. If you don't like it, sell it on ebay!

Yes, you are right about the speed of the spinning reels. I believe that baitcasting reels top out at 31" per turn (like my curado 200 DHSV) compared to your 33".
My main plan is to practice casting so that I will be decent when I go to Texas in march. I may even move there in the future. If I can master my casting then I will be ready when I am in BASS COUNTRY!

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:23 pm

Alright Skunked! Your live cichlids did the trick on those finicky tucs. Nothing like watching tucs attack live bait. You're on a roll. Good luck and good fishing.

King Sushi level

Bait casting

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:37 pm

Hey skunked, not only are you starting to catch, I think the fishing for tucs will continue to improve over the next few months.

Actually, I was going to invest in some baitcasting tackle but then the bass fishing went down hill (late 80's). They also started keeping the water high, therefore making bass fishing from shore difficult. The 7:1 gear ratio on some of those bc make them just as fast as mine. What if they made a 2 speeder out of that?! Meannn!!!! Speed and power. Just a thought.

King Sushi level

saltwater whipping

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:43 pm

By the way, Skunked, did you ever try saltwater fishing with baitcasting tackle?

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:41 pm

Yeah, it was so awesome seeing the tucs strike the live bait. Kind of like the thrill of a bass or barracuda hitting a popper. So much fun!
No, I haven't tried baitcasting in saltwater. Like I mentioned on another post, all my bass reels are pretty much useless for anything else. The line capacity is too small. They make the spools shallow to hold less line and therefore reduce the weight of the entire spool and line assembly because the lighter it is, the better it will cast and with less backlash. I guess it would be fine for smaller fish, but imagine if I hooked up with a big oio or something. All the line on the spool would be gone in a matter of seconds!
I may buy another rod and reel for light saltwater use soon though.
Forgot to mention that I also caught and released a turtle and both a baby bass and tuc. Also, I saw an adult and baby bluegill! Made me feel happy because I hadn't seen one in about 8 years.

JeffFaulkner
bass level

Saltwater Baitcasting Reels

Postby JeffFaulkner » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:18 am

I have used baitcasting reels in salt water. I personally prefer them. Cabelas makes one called the Salt Striker and there is the classic Abu Garcia International. Most all manufacturers make them. I like having more control.
'Piscatur non solum Piscator' ~ There’s more to fishing than catching fish

Return to “General Discussion”